Pond in the foothills

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry Mitch, but I don't think that will "cut it" for your long hard winter, but I guess it is better than nothing.... I have had similar devices that we used to sell here in town when I worked at a greenhouse that sold pond supplies, and it cost 90 dollars and was a bunch of junk. The little pumps would get clogged up and then it would not keep hole open. I felt bad for the customers that wasted there money and killed their fish. I have not used that device so I don't know for sure, but I will stick to my big heater and pumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You may very well be right, Colleen. We'll see.

I still have my 1500W pond deicer, but there are a number of issues with it for me.

1) The cord is only 5' long. My plant shelves are 3 - 4' wide so that means I need an extension cord.
With the amount of current going through the cord, it warms up sufficiently that it slowly melts it's way through the ice, then freezes over top it, making it dangerous to try to chip out and retrieve. If I place the plug in and extension cord in a PVC pipe, the pipe still warms up and will tilt towards the pond, allowing melt water to creep in and reach the plug in.

2) With the radiant heat that the heater provides, there is an area of thin ice that surrounds it, no matter the temperature. I had deer walking over the pond last year and the last thing I need is an anmal that has fallen through the ice into the pond.

3) Even with 1500W of heat, it still had some days that it froze over.

Last winter was a battle, and I'm expecting this year to be one too. I'm going to keep on trying different methods until I find one that works for me.
I still have the heater, so I could still use it to melt a new hole in the ice if it comes to that.
Maybe I'll wind up building an igloo over this new contraption to protect it from the wind! :cold:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CountryEscape said:
Interesting heater, I'll want to hear how it did for you this winter.
As far as the wireless transmitter, I have a set, and if my receiver is not VERY close to the transmitter outside, it doesn't read the info. I though the battery was dead on the transmitter, but when I moved receiver to the inside of the same wall it was on, it picked up the info. A second receiver is about 30' away through another wall, and receiver picks up both. Had a floating thermometer on both ponds, one receiver in the house, but receiver typically only picked up the info from the closest koi pond's thermometer, and then not all the time. Goldfish pond is only about 20' farther, but plants in between it and house I guess causes signal to be disturbed. In the equipment's defense, I always buy stuff on sale and cheap ... so maybe if I went with more or most expensive, they would work better. :blueflower:

I was able to get a signal when the transmitter was sitting on the plant shelf, but that's no good. I need to know the 5' bottom temperature. I tried both a cheap one and an expensive one. (well, the only ones HD had anyways)
The only problem with the wired ones is that they're meant to be based indoors with the cord running to the outside. I had a couple last year fizzle out on me because one way or another, they got moisture in them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I got my trail cam installed and caught some of the local nightlife and riff raf........

MFDC0051-1.jpg

MFDC0045.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This will be interesting to see all the creatures who come visiting at night! So far man and beast :cheerful: If you and the moose are out there at the same time will the moose run away or will you have to run away from the moose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Now that would be a fun pic by pic sequence to see Mitch out there, moose approach, and the camera takes a pic every 3 seconds .... :blueflower: You must show us ALL of the pics if that ever happens, Mitch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
jw, if I'm there, the moose will only let me get so far then they retreat into the forest. Mind you, if it the mom and baby moose are there together, I don't want to get too close because she could charge at me.

CE, I'll definitely put up what interesting creaures show up at night!

I got some rock picking done this morning.

IMG_5037-1.jpg

IMG_5059-1.jpg IMG_5058-1.jpg

We also went down and put up a second trail cam, down by the natural pond on the other side of our property.

IMG_4810-1.jpgIMG_4827-1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, you have that whole rock pile to pick through? I would take them all! Just keep making trips back and forth. Get with it now. LOL
And, that natural pond is gorgeous, scenery spectacular. To live up in the mountains with that type of scenery ... priceless. Bet the beauty continues through each and every season, even if your seasons (except winter) are shorter than what I have. Thanks for sharing!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I really am looking forward to seeing more photos Mitch. Now you put up another one at that pretty wild pond..........oh boy could be all kinds of wild beasts showing up there.................maybe even Big Foot!
My mouth is watering looking at all those free gorgeous rocks to die for :claphands:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOVE those rocks. Geez they cost big bucks here.

You have a beautiful place there, it will be so neat to see what wild life will show up on your trail cams. I love watching what shows up around our ponds and watching the storms.

Ask a Question