Low flow pump recommendations?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

We've had this pond for almost 20 years and the pump in the lower pond has never gone out but it looks like its losing its pressure and I can't find a leak.

These are small ponds that flow into each other. Both are roughly 4x4x2. The bottom pond has the pump and the fish. The piping ranges from 1 inch pipe to 1/2 inch copper tubing going at best 6-8 feet in total to the top pond. I wish I knew more about it but this pond I didn't build it so my knowledge is based on observation over the years. Heck I don't even know how it takes in the water in the lower pond!

But man I've never seen a pump last this long and I don't know if its the low flow aspect or I just got really lucky but my experience is with much higher flow pumps 5000gph+ in my other pond so I'm hoping for someone with more experience here who can point me in the right direction for a brand and a gph. It is submerged.

2011-04-04_18-38-11_733.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have some old Supreme Pondmaster pumps that have held up good over the years. https://dannermfg.com/collections/w...ondmaster-pond-mag-magnetic-drive-water-pumps

Last year, had a new Tetra 500 gph with an impeller failure after few months.
I found the old receipt and I mean old. 2002! And they called it a Supreme 1800gph pump

What I can't figure out is how the water is taken in since I've never even cleaned it mainly because I only have a vague notion of where it is in the lower pond.

1714097919786.jpeg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They typically come with a plastic strainer on the intake/impeller cover and a foam prefilter. Some prefilters I had were too fine and would clog very fast, other ones had more coarse foam which worked much better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
They typically come with a plastic strainer on the intake/impeller cover and a foam prefilter. Some prefilters I had were too fine and would clog very fast, other ones had more coarse foam which worked much better.
thanks very much!!

Ask a Question