Reduce pond size to increase water flow into pump box

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aloha! I have a pond/waterfall in my backyard. There is a small leak that we haven’t been able to fix since the previous owner lined the pond with boulders that would take a crane to move. The water level stops at a level where we can still have water flow into the pump box opening. I lowered the pump box opening just below the level that the water stops and water flows into the box, but the flow isn’t enough to keep up with the pump. The pond is pretty big and I wonder if I fill in the pond, will that increase the flow of water into the box? What would best to fill the pond with? Any thoughts that might help increase water flow into the box would be great. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your water level is being dictated by a leak . And that level is just barely higher than the wier to the pump house then filling the pond only decreases the volume of the pond it does nothing to the pump house.

You need to lower the weir/ intake to the pump vault. if it is a liner pond then it's easy enough to do unless theres huge boulders in the way. BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS GAIN ACCESS TO THE LINER FROM INSIDE THE VAULT

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your water level is being dictated by a leak . And that level is just barely higher than the wier to the pump house then filling the pond only decreases the volume of the pond it does nothing to the pump house.

You need to lower the weir/ intake to the pump vault. if it is a liner pond then it's easy enough to do unless theres huge boulders in the way. BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS GAIN ACCESS TO THE LINER FROM INSIDE THE VAULT
Thank you! What do you mean access the liner from inside the vault?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome pond.gif
@Imua00

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you said you had boulders that a crane had to move. well the boulder is on the inside of the liner i would assume. So if you dig on the outside of the pond you'll find the liner you can cut and drop the intake weir OR seam new rubber on and do what you need to do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
you said you had boulders that a crane had to move. well the boulder is on the inside of the liner i would assume. So if you dig on the outside of the pond you'll find the liner you can cut and drop the intake weir OR seam new rubber on and do what you need to do
If indeed you know the general area of the leak.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As to your initial question - there’s no safe way to fill in the bottom of a liner pond to raise water level. Whatever you put at the bottom will become fouled with fish waste and organic debris and cause an unsafe situation for the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Filling in the pond will do nothing but lessen then volume of water the weir/intake is regulating the height along with the leak. What I suspect how ever when a leak is conveniently at the same height as is the intake I would suspect the seal of the intake as the potential leak !1

Ask a Question