Frogs in pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Life got crazy and I’ve not been here much but I started a new pond build and shortly it will get some residents.

I would love to put in two or three tadpoles. My concern is that I live nowhere near any kind of water source frogs might choose to live, with the exception of my pond.

So I’m wondering whether I should add some or not.

Is it the right thing to do”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a frog show up in my pond late last summer and have no idea where it could have come from. The nearest body of water is about a mile away. It over-wintered nicely and it's begun sunning itself again in its favorite spot among the golden club plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I too have frogs that just showed up. Last year I had tadpoles all over the place. Not too fond of them eating my fish though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you must have had bullfrogs? I think those are the only kinds of frogs that will eat fish
I'm not sure if the others might as well, but yes. I have bullfrogs.
In past years I've also had Pickerel frogs, but haven't seen them (yet) this year.
And I had some Grey Tree frogs in the bog. Cute little guys.

Attachments

• P1040560.JPG
    P1040560.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 5
  • P1050207 (1).JPG
    P1050207 (1).JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1070918.JPG
    P1070918.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had cricket frogs and gulf coast toads just show up a month or so after filling my pond for the first time. The frogs are ok, but the toads are LOUD! Thinking of catching them and relocating! And one of them laid several thousand eggs, so now I have several thousand tadpoles!

Ask a Question