Leaking pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a rubber pond liner which I suspect is leaking. I have had a problem with moles digging around the pond and under! Is there a clever way to find the leak?
Cheers

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is making you think it’s a leak? Many times, water loss alone can be due to evaporation. Do you have a waterfall? Turn off the pump and see if the water loss slows down. Look for wet areas anywhere near the pond.

Sometimes, pictures can help us a lot when we’re trying to figure something out for a member.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is making you think it’s a leak? Many times, water loss alone can be due to evaporation. Do you have a waterfall? Turn off the pump and see if the water loss slows down. Look for wet areas anywhere near the pond.

Sometimes, pictures can help us a lot when we’re trying to figure something out for a member.
the pond level dropped an inch in 2 days, and it's been raining, i know my pond. no waterfall, I will add some pics tomorrow thanks Tony

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi All
I have a rubber pond liner which I suspect is leaking. I have had a problem with moles digging around the pond and under! Is there a clever way to find the leak?
Cheers
Turn off any pumps like waterfall etc. Allow water to sit still and drain down as far as it will by itself then go around the inside edge and look for small holes, tears etc. They can be really tiny so look close. Could it be that just rocks around the top edge have sunk down and pushed your liner into to the soil? That can cause water to leak out in the low spots. This happens to me and I have to go around and take off rocks and lift liner back up and put more dirt or rocks under the liner to hold it up higher and then put top edge rocks back. Rain can make the ground soggy so rocks can push down on the liner and make it sink.

Ask a Question