What does your pond look like ... Today?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had that happen clear 1 day and a week later green again but fish and that darn dog did not help my water quality

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I realized shortly after my happy dance that I have to get into the pond this week and move some plants and re-position my pump and a few other things that will most likely cloudy up the water but then decided to just live in the moment.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last night I told myself to trim my huge Mexican Sunflower plants because rain was coming and rain is the plants' kryptonite. I probably should've listened to myself. The rain destroyed them.

here they are on Aug. 30 (huge plant, orange flowers)
IMG_7550.jpg

and here they are today...
DSCN6629.jpg

I saved as much as I could because of how much the local bumblebee population relies on it as well as butterflies and hummingbirds, but it sure looks ugly now!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh wow. So you have to trim it down when you start heading into rainy season? Don't you get random rain throughout the summer? It looks so bedraggled and sad now. :(

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So you have to trim it down when you start heading into rainy season? Don't you get random rain throughout the summer?

We haven't had too many rainy days this summer, but at least a branch or two broke every time it did rain. It always filled in quick enough so that it didn't look bad. So, when we had a forecast saying we could get up to 2" of rain overnight, I figured I should probably trim it, at least some of the leaves, so the water weight doesn't snap it... yeah, I probably should've. :LOL:

I even had it tied to the fence, but the plant got so ridiculously tall since I tied it, that it snapped well above the rope. I will definitely be planting more seeds next year though. They attracted so many hummingbirds, butterflies and bumble bees that it was well worth it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it's a beautiful plant. It would never grow down here with all the crazy intervals of rain we've had this summer.

yeah, it would probably do better in a large tomato-cage type setup. I definitely did not expect this 4'-6' plant to get to 9' though! The seed packet was a little off on that one!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well this thread was a good read, loved your good looking father Red, Very NICE pond lights JB!!!
That Mexican Sun flower was a real beauty JB, but all good thing must come to an end... Here too we had lots of pounding rain and ice cold water these days, so now my water lilly's are dying back, like our too short summer here... :(

Reaction score
It's a chilly evening but I've got a couple night pics to share. My four big fish and few rosies. Trained my frog to smile! Last pic is my air stone that runs at night and it provides lots of bubbles there is another in my falls box that runs 24/7. Up and running for winter with landscaping for 2015.
IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

Ask a Question