What does your pond look like ... Today?

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What does my pond look like today? Well... green and murky :grumpy:
IMG_1900_zps7b2e1557.jpg

DSC_5087_zps91442570.jpg

I have suspended and string algae growing everywhereo_O It really doesn't look good. Oh well, it provides food and cover for these guys:
f0fd9667-8fbc-4e4c-af27-5c422efc9a03_zpsa3f951e9.jpg

My koi fry are hatching :D The water may look bad but its mainly because the rotting infertile eggs are providing to many nutrients. Once these guys are larger I will begin doing more water changes, but right now I don't want to risk them getting caught above the water and drying out. It's a trade off.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What does my pond look like today? Well... green and murky :grumpy:
IMG_1900_zps7b2e1557.jpg

DSC_5087_zps91442570.jpg

I have suspended and string algae growing everywhereo_O It really doesn't look good. Oh well, it provides food and cover for these guys:
f0fd9667-8fbc-4e4c-af27-5c422efc9a03_zpsa3f951e9.jpg

My koi fry are hatching :D The water may look bad but its mainly because the rotting infertile eggs are providing to many nutrients. Once these guys are larger I will begin doing more water changes, but right now I don't want to risk them getting caught above the water and drying out. It's a trade off.

I had green murky water a lot last year. This year it's stayed nice and clear but my bog is full of string algae.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Rice and fresh trout are a good combo :)

Boy those Hyacinth sure grow nice for you and the rice plant is cool. I suppose it must be hardy here and where did you find it?
Sounds tasty, huh? ;) I think the hyacinth love the sun up against the warm rocks. The wild rice came from Falling Water Gardens in Monroe.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
20140708_163857.jpg
1404855690784.jpg
Duckweed almost completely covered the surface. Looking nice. I thinned out some of the Pickerel weed. Also brought the lilies to the surface. The leaves were getting covered by the Duckweed. Also cleaned the fountain. Little fishies kept me company.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful sunny day! Pictures of two of the babies that have color already.
View attachment 72674
This one I think has flowing fins? Anyone else see what I see?
View attachment 72671

very cool! I have more baby fish in my pond than I'll know what to do with. Most about an inch long now and growing. They don't even hide in hornwort anymore. I see them swimming around a lot. Meanwhile the two babies that survived from last year are hanging out with the adults all the time and getting so big now that the warm weather is here.

Reaction score
You know I'm not sure exactly, maybe a month old. There were three spawings so I'm not sure wihich ones go with which lol. I also have lots of babies with no color ( well kind of a greenish gold), and being a first time "spawing mom" lol, I can't tell what is what :)
It's interesting, some are more streamline like the ones I took pics of and some are more full bodied and look like a standard goldfish. Only time will tell I suppose :)

Ask a Question