Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Finally starting to warm up here. Been a good year for the small Wisteria tree and the Wisteria vine by the barn. Work on the pond has been going well. Working on the edging, rock work, etc. Lots of planting. The past week the string algae disappeared from the bog and stream, combination of the shade (the large maple has leafed out) and plants growing in.
How lovely! Congrats and enjoy all your hard work :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got to build a trellis my good man Nothing and I mean NOTHING can top a wisteria hanging from a trellis or pergola over water or the appearance of so ... OK so lemons come pretty close.
That would be nice. Wisteria is pretty, it can get a bit unwieldy as you can see with the one next to the barn, the barn swallows are doing gymnastics to get around it and under the barn, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That would be nice. Wisteria is pretty, it can get a bit unwieldy as you can see with the one next to the barn, the barn swallows are doing gymnastics to get around it and under the barn, lol.
I have mine on an old clothesline T metal post and it gets reddish leaves in spring, then they turn green and does not bloom much. Either I prune it too low (I just trim off long leggy arms in fall) or it is a different kind. I've had it for over 15 yrs! One year it bloomed great in 2020! No blooms yet at all this year. Everyone around us who has them they are all in full bloom now.
2020:
IMG_9413.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine on an old clothesline T metal post and it gets reddish leaves in spring, then they turn green and does not bloom much. Either I prune it too low (I just trim off long leggy arms in fall) or it is a different kind. I've had it for over 15 yrs! One year it bloomed great in 2020! No blooms yet at all this year. Everyone around us who has them they are all in full bloom now.
2020:
View attachment 163460
They definitely can be fickle. I get a great showing about every other year. They do seem to respond to pruning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The algae bloom in the pond has begun. Been the first warm days with sun this Spring (80s in MA considered warm, Lol). With the weather so cool the plants have been slow to develop, plus I have only been planting the last few weeks. So no surprise. The bog and stream are clear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo you want some plants bring a couple t
The algae bloom in the pond has begun. Been the first warm days with sun this Spring (80s in MA considered warm, Lol). With the weather so cool the plants have been slow to develop, plus I have only been planting the last few weeks. So no surprise. The bog and stream are clear.
You want some plants bring a couple Trash cans with you ill load you up. I can hook you up with at least 1000 bucks worth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sedges. yellow money flower. Iris yellow blue . Game cock. Sweet flag. Watercress. Forget me nots. Creeping jenny and Charlie. Night lilly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sedges. yellow money flower. Iris yellow blue . Game cock. Sweet flag. Watercress. Forget me nots. Creeping jenny and Charlie. Night lilly.
Thank you very much for the offer. But I already emptied the pond and filled it with Clorox. Its what the wife wanted;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
SAY WHATTTTTT !!!!!! YOU DID WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!! YOU LISTENED TO YOUR WIFE!!!!! OK WE ARE BACK TO WHAT I EXPECTED WITH A LAWYER.....

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Got to build a trellis my good man Nothing and I mean NOTHING can top a wisteria hanging from a trellis or pergola over water or the appearance of so ... OK so lemons come pretty close.
Lemons definitely come pretty darn close! This is a new stream I'm building out of the bog, which passes directly under the lemon tree. Looks cool at night!

new_stream_with_lemons_web.jpg

But that wisteria is going to be stunning as a tree! A lot of work to keep it that way though.

There is actually a tree that's commonly called "tree wisteria", though it's not actually related to the vine. It's proper name is Bolosanthus speciosus, and I planted one in our garden just after finishing the pond. It hasn't flowered this year, but it did flower stunningly last year.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thank you very much for the offer. But I already emptied the pond and filled it with Clorox. Its what the wife wanted;)
Er... Don't even joke about that around here! It's about like me joking that I'm going to put His Honor The Chef's good cast iron skillet through the dishwasher...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lemons definitely come pretty darn close! This is a new stream I'm building out of the bog, which passes directly under the lemon tree. Looks cool at night!

View attachment 163487

But that wisteria is going to be stunning as a tree! A lot of work to keep it that way though.

There is actually a tree that's commonly called "tree wisteria", though it's not actually related to the vine. It's proper name is Bolosanthus speciosus, and I planted one in our garden just after finishing the pond. It hasn't flowered this year, but it did flower stunningly last year.
That is gorgeous. Lemons win since they not only look great but you can use them, as long as you dont put the cast iron skillet in the dishwasher;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
SAY WHATTTTTT !!!!!! YOU DID WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!! YOU LISTENED TO YOUR WIFE!!!!! OK WE ARE BACK TO WHAT I EXPECTED WITH A LAWYER.....
Lol, it has been funny to see her get upset about the algae. I have warned her there would be algae, that it is perfectly natural and indicates the pond is working. The string algae was not that bad a couple of weeks ago. But she is like a bull in a china closet trying to scoop it out. I have been testing the water regularly and everything has been fine so I am not worried. I dont feed the fish much, like every other day and its less than half of a dixie cup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Forgot to mention the snails have been fun to watch. I did not think they would be so interesting. But it amazes me how much they move around, you see them in one spot and then ten minutes later completely different spot. Kind of like playing a Where's Waldo game.

Ask a Question