String algae white, aphids, organic matter breaking down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I'd plant something in those areas right next to the spillway that look like they're outside of the liner (plants hide a lot and make things look more natural and soft) and cover the liner with plants, gravel, moss, etc. or you could make a berm of dirt on the liner around the edge so you don't get runoff in the pond and maybe plant some grass on it?

Also, I hate to say it, but if you want a height difference between the bog and pond, I'd raise the bog up. Maybe put some sand underneath it so the container serving as your bog is higher. Either that or lower the pond. If you don't want them at the same level, one of them has to move vertically from where it is now.
wondering what could i do to make it have proper sound... and its too close for comfort, the liner is just barely so the water is not going out, before i had a some height to work with now i dont . so the last thing i want is i add rocks etc and it's a low edge.
i thought about digging it a bit more, and adding rocks, then water would flow over the rocks and have a waterfall effect. i mean it would work i think but i'd have to patch up every little hole so water wouldnt escape or gather. but it is an ideal kind of situation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
the issue with this is, that its quite hard for me to ensure it is not leaking or wicking. The drop is small as well and water is at that level.. while the water isnt going out through a low edge wicking exists

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is the problem using preformed containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
that is the problem using preformed containers
yeah. i can make it look nice but not much point if its wicking water out which i am sure to some extent it is. i am not really sure, i thought maybe build up a soil wall under it tuck liner under.

it seems though i make it shallow then there's a great chance it'll wick. i dont know though what is the best course of action. before the barrel was higher, so i could easily build a wall under it and then liner's just tucked against it, it took tinkering but it was easy to figure out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
on another note, the water's close to being quite clear after two days of running. the flow rate is also much stronger. so the bacteria live again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
on another note, the water's close to being quite clear after two days of running. the flow rate is also much stronger. so the bacteria live again
It will take a couple weeks for the bacteria to cycle through . Rome was not built in a day. Take it easy on feeding if at all .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
yeah ive not fed them for almost a month. but as for my liner under the spillway issue, unfortunately every variation thus far i feel has been a bad choice, every day ive been tinkering with it, moving soil more and more so liner is further under the spillway. today the soil under wasnt watery so means there wasnt much wicking. ive moved it today again but the choices i have are bad nonetheless.

the best choice may be to extend the spillway to drop directly into the pond. cant see any else as a viable solution but if anyone has suggestions i'm dying for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
not many options with this by the looks of it. anything is a bad choice mostly and ends up with wicking or a low edge. ive not been running it 24/7 anymore, otherwise im just gonna end up with the pump dead at some point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You HAVE TO RUN 24/7 UNTILL TEMPS DROP IN THE FALL otherwise your going to have issues with your biological filter starving for oxygen and dieing. You just got done with a nightmare . Your heading that way again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
You HAVE TO RUN 24/7 UNTILL TEMPS DROP IN THE FALL otherwise your going to have issues with your biological filter starving for oxygen and dieing. You just got done with a nightmare . Your heading that way again
well, aerator will be added. other than i cant really do anything. not much i can do to fix a low edge or wicking under the spillway, it's impossible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
maybe i just remove the spillway or seal it. drill a hole, add a pipe, be done with it. not pretty but no wicking or anything i guess...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well, aerator will be added. other than i cant really do anything. not much i can do to fix a low edge or wicking under the spillway, it's impossible.
Dinm I have built many things for a good many people and I can show you project after project of tasks that so called experts said it couldn't be done or that it was impossible.
All I'm trying to tell you is you came to the forum having issues. And after looking and listening at what had been built. It wasn't hard to see part of the issue is design the other is in the practice.
Good stewardship is as crucial as is a good filter or dechlorinator with city water.
On this site we all say there is not just one way to build a pond or a filter system.
BUT WE DO POINT TO THE BASICS and in your case the basics is the pump running 24/7 until winter. Your free to do as you wish who knows maybe you'll find what works with the new filter is to shut down the pump for half the day.
I wish you luck. Trust me no one here will be upset if you figure out a way to cut back on electrical usage

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As far as a low edge there's two fixes.
1. Splice on another piece of liner and build it up. Calk the joint after seaming.
2. Is to bring the side in toward the center of the pond and fill in behind the liner untill you get what you need.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maybe i just remove the spillway or seal it. drill a hole, add a pipe, be done with it. not pretty but no wicking or anything i guess...
Sealing the weir the most common problem is tightening the screws too much and squeezing out all the caulking. Second mistake is not having like 2 feet of liner to can't the splash if not 4 or 6 feet depending on the height of the falls

Ask a Question