String algae white, aphids, organic matter breaking down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now this realy HURTS like itching powder in the jock strap hurt.

GOOD CATCH @Pablo if the water was to go in one direction and lost momentum and flow you could get a stagnant side to the bog and it wouldn't be resolved untill the other side started to clog. Also the slits are rather small but seeing as it's in a smaller bucket there may not be enough flow to worry about but. Yeah that is a possibility I would cut the loop off and turn those to dead ends or lift tube's for flushing out sludge down the road.
Damn the boys are dancing
It just begs the question of how you know about itching powder in a jock strap;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would guess, as others said, that it's a flaw in your design. Luckily it's a rather small space, comparatively. I imagine you're going to find you just have a big tub of rotting debris sitting there with barely any water making its way through to the top.

Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Started digging up, not that hard but gonna get a bit harder as i get into the bigger pea gravel.
The pea gravel is not clogged at all, as it turns out it couldnt be more clean. Plants had a lot of mud to them, but that's because some I don't remove all the soil, perhaps a bad choice but not big enough of a problem to cause this stagnant water.

So it is most likely that the pipes got clogged and I'll be changing this so the ends are not connected. This is about a foot deep, so a lot of work but anyway what must be done must be done, better now than in the summer when everything's growing.

1716462261277.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I would guess, as others said, that it's a flaw in your design. Luckily it's a rather small space, comparatively. I imagine you're going to find you just have a big tub of rotting debris sitting there with barely any water making its way through to the top.

Good luck to you.
probably. all this muck appears out of nowhere. no idea how, but im guessing water somehow pushes it up or something. it's quite odd... though again, say i have no flaw in design, what prevents this sediment, debris ending up on the bottom again?

ive not gotten to the bottom and probably wont for a day or two as im taking it slow. but just curious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm thinking you're pumping too much debris to the bog - ideally the water that enters the bog should be clear and free of any kind of debris. Do you have any kind of pre-filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
i was digging for 2 and a half hours. mud all around, top layers have little to no mud except around the sides. then near the bottom it's lick i poured mud myself. i got discouraged near the end as it's just too much. not even digging im doing it by hand with a bucket, impossible otherwise. but i am near the end. it seems in my initial design i had many rocks after the gravel, so that debris may have been stuck there because of it although i am not sure.

1716559271859.png

though one thing ssure that there is no returning from this if it doesnt work after everything is put together again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Wondering if simply removing the loop will fix this issue. Should I do anything else?

I have been told here before that pea chip shouldn't be used for a bog so I am wondering if to do away with that fully. Something about debris getting stuck, but pea gravel is half the bog, I did find a lot of mud in it but it was mostly clean, most mud seems to be at the bottom. And what should I do if I want cleaning to be simple?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wondering if simply removing the loop will fix this issue. Should I do anything else?

I have been told here before that pea chip shouldn't be used for a bog so I am wondering if to do away with that fully. Something about debris getting stuck, but pea gravel is half the bog, I did find a lot of mud in it but it was mostly clean, most mud seems to be at the bottom. And what should I do if I want cleaning to be simple?
I'd eliminate the loop, widen the slits in the pipes, use bigger rocks at the bottom and gradually decrease the size of the rock in layers. Also make a clean out pipe with a cap if you don't already have one - that way the next time you want to clean it, you just remove the cap and either blow it out or vacuum it out instead of having to dig the whole thing out again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I'd eliminate the loop, widen the slits in the pipes, use bigger rocks at the bottom and gradually decrease the size of the rock in layers. Also make a clean out pipe with a cap if you don't already have one - that way the next time you want to clean it, you just remove the cap and either blow it out or vacuum it out instead of having to dig the whole thing out again.
that would seem a good idea. unfortunately when i did this, i did it in december, think it was very muddy, and i was rushing everything. now i will take my time with it.

1716593923539.png

are these the clean out pipes? ive never really understood the purpose of them other than it could be for cleaning it out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Every stone in the bog has to be rounded no chips not mediums no fines. I would not recommend using nothing but pea stone, but many have just that , i would do a larger stone 2"within the area of the pipe then graduate to 1 inch or 3/4 then do your 3/8" pea stone again Pea like a pea it's rounded

the larger stone helps keep the slits from getting blocked up/ the risers are to have the caps removed one at a time and push the waater through with the pump OR use a pond vac to pull the debris up

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Every stone in the bog has to be rounded no chips not mediums no fines. I would not recommend using nothing but pea stone, but many have just that , i would do a larger stone 2"within the area of the pipe then graduate to 1 inch or 3/4 then do your 3/8" pea stone again Pea like a pea it's rounded
i have 3/4, but 3/8 is not easy to find and may be unattainable. i may be forced to use 3/4 until i get close to the top but i dont know if that works.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have 3/4, but 3/8 is not easy to find and may be unattainable. i may be forced to use 3/4 until i get close to the top but i dont know if that works.
it will work i use vgery little 3/8 in 90% 3/4

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have taken out everything. Pipes entirely clogged, put hose on full pressure way stronger than the pump couldnt do much even with that, bottom full of mud. This thing started creating the problem from day one.

Now i have to get this big barrel out and level it, by hand it seems not possible but maybe i can use a spade to raise it a bit enough so its not stuck to soil anymore.

though i am afraid this piping may not be enough to have the whole bog have proper circulation
1716646099743.png

not sure if this would work better as i dont want to have to deal with this again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question