Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A lot of snowfall the past few days.
I hope this is the last pond snow picture I put up this season.
The water temperature has dropped to 42F, so feeding will have to wait again. I did get in 2 days of feeding the fish.
Cold weather is forecast until Thursday. It would be nice if the snow was gone for good by this coming weekend.

IMG_5333.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A lot of snowfall the past few days.
I hope this is the last pond snow picture I put up this season.
The water temperature has dropped to 42F, so feeding will have to wait again. I did get in 2 days of feeding the fish.
Cold weather is forecast until Thursday. It would be nice if the snow was gone for good by this coming weekend.

View attachment 69553
That picture made me cry a little Mitch (okay a lot), so sorry. I too hope this is your last snow photo

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
IMAG0413-1.jpg
It looks pretty with all the snow, at least it is not frozen over again! Good to hear the fish made it under all that ice, and the water looks nice and clear in that really big pond!
Mitch, you need a marsh Marigold for your pond, they are for the coldest zones on the planet and they bloom so early in the spring. They will grow under the ice and snow and pop up with a lot of yellow blooms to cheer you up after a long hard winter. Look for a Marsh Marigold next time you are out shopping for your pond...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty plant Colleen!

Mitch what's so special about the snow melting by this weekend..................I mean can't it wait a couple more days
I'm so mean, please forgive me

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You need to have the root planted in basket if clay mud. If the muck is creamy and soft, line the basket with brown paper bag. They are easy to make lots of, you just need to plant a single leave and it will grow in soft muck easy. Then you could try a leaf in muck wrapped in old cloth and tucked into edges to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great, thanks.
There's no shortage of clay around here, plus it's good for the fish.
Are the plants available at regular garden centres, or do I need to get them from a pond plant supplier?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You might have to look at garden centres that sell pond plants. Once you have one then you can propagate easy with just a single leaf and stem. They only like cold weather and start cutting in very early spring before it gets too hot. If the weather gets too hot they will go domant and die back, then other pond plants should be up by then. Marsh Marigold is for zone 2 and they will start to grow right under the ice before it even melts! I used to make lots at the greenhouse years ago. They make a stunning edge and for you with a short growing season, you need this plant to give you blooms fast in spring!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
snow will not hurt this plant either, matter of fact it loves the snow!! Marsh Maigold is a Alpine plant and it would do great in your weather. They will bloom again in fall if your season is cold enough... Somehow I don't think that will be a problem for you! ha ha ha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I actually was checking online and found that the pond centre about 50 km north of me, Bearberry Creek Water Gardens www.bbcreek.ca
carries them.
That's the place that I got my liner, skimmer, pump from.

There's lots of noise coming from our roof today with all the snow falling off, so hopefully that's it for old man winter this year - finally.
The pond will get a good water change from all this melting snow at least.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, you need lots of alpine plants around that big pond, it will make spring more enjoyable and the colder the weather the better that plant will look!! Perfect for you Mitch!! You also need a yellow flag water iris too, they grow and do very well and cold cannot kill them either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Trucking over to Colleen's would cost me about $170.00 in fuel.:)
I need to get up to that Bearberry place anyways...
...once this snow stops! It's snowing heavily again.:sour:
I'm surprised we haven't lost power yet.

Ask a Question