Pond in the foothills

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, we are all very nosy and we want to see live shots of your big pond this summer and your beautiful view, we want to take a virtual walk around your pond and fish tanks!! Who cares if we are not professional, I like real home videos not the professional pre- scripted stuff, I get enough of that of TV!!

Mitch did you see my latest video "Proof running water melts ice very quick" cause I posted it on my winter thread and thought if you could get a pump running this spring through a hole in the ice, and then top the pond up till the water reaches the ice top, then you could melt that big pond quicker this spring and enjoy the view, seeing how your summers are so short!

The pump does not have to be really big, but drop a pump into the hole of ice, with a hose that brings the water to the top and swirls around the water around the ice, that would melt that massive glacier of ice quicker!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I did see your video of the running water.
The problem with a strong pump running in my pond during the winter is that the intake gets clogged with those backswimmer bugs.
Must be a mountain thing.

The thick ice and snow seem to be keeping the pond water warm, as well.
Last spring I did get a bigger pump going when there was a breakup of the ice. I'll probably do that again this coming spring.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I get those back swimmer too, plus the really big monster black beatle swimmers that can fly too and have big pinchers! Ouch!!
I use a big prefilters before the pump that can run all winter, and you don't need a super big pump, just one standard 1000 or 2000 GPH would help. Next time I do a video I will zero in on that big filter that runs all winter without plugging up. It costs about 70 dollars here in town and you can hook two filter together for the ultimate super underwater filter for bigger pumps. Underwater pre-pump filters don't freeze up as they are underwater so it works really great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd like to see those prefilter things again close up Colleen. Think you posted them a long time ago. I may need to find some of those soon. Don't like my bucket w/ the pump inside of it w/ all the filter media crammed around it. A pain in the butt to drag up outta the pond and clean out. Hope they have them here in the U.S

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like your posts you guys but I have unthinkably ran out of LIKES
OH look I found a pink tutu dancer but sorry Mitch I don't mean to imply you are on the plump side or anything

Colleen you can find these little animations all over the net. Just do a search on animations. Here is one place I find them: http://www.heathersanimations.com/index.html
You just right click and save and I keep mine in Photobucket.

Ask a Question