j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The pond containers are raised and put next to each other for a wider expanse of water. The width of 75cm diameter. The depth is 45 enough for pygmea water lily and one marginal in each. I bought an Iris which I don't think is a lily. I have good South light where I situated it. The photo is on this page above or a prior page of my set up. I did want some plants to spill over the sides and trail down. Not sure if aquatic plants can do this.
Yep as @Mmathis suggested Creeping Jenny works well sticking roots in dirt close to the edge of your pond and letting it trail into the pond. Be careful tho as it will go anywhere, in your grass, up your leg, ha ha!
It gets pretty little yellow blooms in Spring/Summer also:

IMG_4967.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice pond that. Mine would need to spread from inside the pond spilling out. Not outside the pond into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Can you put activated carbon directly in ponds?
It would be pointless in my opinion to dump activated carbon directly into the pond since the way that activated carbon removes pollutants from the water is by the water passing through it. Activated carbon is a fantastic solution when you have excess tannins or otherwise unclear water that you want to quickly clear up (but not algae), but it needs to be in a media bag inside your filter where water is flowing through it for it to be effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice pond that. Mine would need to spread from inside the pond spilling out. Not outside the pond into it.
Creeping Jenny will creep in any direction you want with a little help. Just take the trailers and drape them where you want them to go. Here's one in a hanging pot on my porch railing:
20240927_160201.jpg
Here's one in my cascade trailing all the way down into the pond like a blanket:
20240826_165426.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not sure how it will grow in just water. I have mine w/it's roots in dirt. It might grow in a pot of kitty litter 100% clay type from Walmart w/no additives. If you have the pot top up a bit above your water level and stick the Jenny in it well it might grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes this was the point of my question growing from the Inside of the pond going out. It shows them growing from within a pond by retailers. Hopefully retailers that don't want a quick buck. Soon find out. I've ordered them now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where are you located? It may be a bit late to get those plants started. Not sure if the hey would survive our winter when being planted at this time of the year. No problem though if you are in the southern hemisphere.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could greenhouse them in boggy John innes. I just bought a reed, pond lily and an Iris now in the pond with two new oxygenaters. Like oregan temprate or new Zealand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might consider keeping the reed and iris inside for winter and planting them in your pond next spring. They will be fine in pots of dirt indoors and grown as a houseplant.

I have doubts about the lily and oxygenators. I would worry the entire pond would freeze and they wouldn't survive that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's our UK brand of soil based compost with some sand in too. Not to different to aquatic. Probably half and half
Obviously not sold all over the world. Best get my forum flag up. In fact all of us probably could do with that. Will see. Many thanks for your time and efforts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the explanation. Plain potting soil would be fine for the reed and iris indoors. Not for the pond soil, of course.

Ask a Question