Oxygenating marginals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I get an oxygenater plant I assume stagnancy isn't a problem. I'm not getting fish so may get the chemical treatment as it takes more money to untangle, dispose of oxgenators by use of a paid gardener. Hopefully the marginals won't mind. Its a raised pond so no frogs will go in. Although I might buy some spawn if yhsts a service, could be fun? What do you reckon?- no chemicals then with toads or frogs. They'll eat my aphids hopefully.

Thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you put activated carbon directly in ponds?
You can, but what is the purpose in your case? The only time I’ve used it was to help remove tannins from the water (the brownish, tea-like color that happens when leaves and tree branches get in the water). Additives like AC are meant to have water flow through them. Put some in a mesh bag and hang it where water flows through it — that will work. Then, you can remove the bag and add new AC periodically. For AC, think about the filter cartridge in an aquarium.

I agree that an air stone is your best bet for adding oxygen to the water. In fact, any time there is water movement (the water is agitated), you are introducing oxygen. Even the water flowing (and splashing) that returns from the filter, is adding oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs climb into my 30" tall water lily pool every year to spawn. No need to buy any. They will show up on their own.

What kind of chemicals are you talking about?

Could you post a picture of your pond? That might help us get a better idea of what you are dealing with with.

Plants of any type won't circulate the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
There are those simple solar fountains you just place them on the water, minimalistic and would aerate the water, even a little bit would help. but there are also solar aerators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are also solar filters for ponds. Some have batteries that would keep things running overnight.

How big is this container pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No chemicals won't aerate but oxygenayor plants work in still water. My dad had such a pond a long while ago. A solar agitator or something could be the best bet. Are they OK in winter sun's lack?
20240923_162910.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wasn't referring to chemicals, but to plants. They won't circulate the water and underwater plants will only produce oxygen when there is sun. At night they take up oxygen, depleting it in the water, so they don't reliably increase oxygen. In a day with 12 full hours of sun, the net gain would be zero.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to have a small slightly bigger pond. Not containers. It did well and it was completely still with oxgenator. I like the idea of agitation and solar in my dubious pedestal containers for a disabled persons height referred to before. Poor frogs might die getting up har har

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's really interesting is in this poor weather we've been having in the UK is my container pond in pics above is shuddering quite alot with movement due to the pond height. As I said I had a ground level still pond and the oxygenated kept it clear. I did have birds bathing in it too but maybe that was helpful agitation as you never no what causes ponds to move. Had frogs back then but no fish. Frog movement may of helped. As a reminder my question was can marginals act as oxygenators for smaller ponds. Plus I'm clueless with chemical or natural resources hence the questions. I no a little on oxgenators but that was it really.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about the Frog comment I was laughing at the poor Frog getting up and round the pedestal top of my 70 cm planter. I wasnt laughing at the fact the can't climb. They may even attempt that. It one of those with wildlife bridges to build up them maybe. Probably forget frogs hey. I think I've had to much help here so don't blame a natural finish to most. Thanks folks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also it would be interesting in a small container if well picked marginals, by the way including water lilies(which arent) could do the job enough just about? If I'm getting the wrong end of the stick still please say as I've read the exact wording of answers above. Plus moving water or chemicals not harming to wildlife are questions for me?
lilies only look pretty they demand more fertilizers than fish waste to abundantly bloom. and do little as far as removing nutrients from the water as they die off as much as they grow

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Alpine What size pond are we talking about, and how deep is it? How much sunlight does it get (even if it’s just a little bit, or is intermittent)? I got a little solar fountain (Amazon) for a bird feeder and to go in my turtle water bowls. They are slightly different styles, but so far have been doing a great job of keeping the water moving. They aren’t for filtration, just for water movement. Both styles have remote solar panels (limited cord length, though), so the fountain doesn’t have to be directly in the sun. The one in my fountain gets intermittent sun, and it moves water even on an overcast day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pond containers are raised and put next to each other for a wider expanse of water. The width of 75cm diameter. The depth is 45 enough for pygmea water lily and one marginal in each. I bought an Iris which I don't think is a lily. I have good South light where I situated it. The photo is on this page above or a prior page of my set up. I did want some plants to spill over the sides and trail down. Not sure if aquatic plants can do this.

Ask a Question