Fish in holding tank for multiple weeks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I am trying to tackle a pond renovation project that I can only work on, on the weekends. It might take me 2-3 weekends to get this done. My question is, will the fish be ok living in a holding tank for that long? I'll obviously have aeration going on and frequent a water change to keep ammonia and nitrate levels down. Would that be sufficient for a few weeks, or am I risking disease / severe stress on the fish?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It is possible, kind of mimicking the transport and holding of fish for sale, although a filter system is usually involved while holding. Any way to adapt something from your pond to the container?

Any type of substandard housing will be stressful and a risk. Other factors such as size and number of fish and volume of container and maintenance routine would have to be considered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would also add minimal if at all feeding the fish and to make sure it's covered to keep them from jumping or being attacked by predators

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the response! yes feeding is a concern. Since they'll be in a holding tank for several weeks and its warmer will the fish be ok with very little or no food? Just want to make sure I dont starve them :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the response! yes feeding is a concern. Since they'll be in a holding tank for several weeks and its warmer will the fish be ok with very little or no food? Just want to make sure I dont starve them :)
Could you put some edible plants in there w/them? Fish all seem to love Duckweed and if you put a bunch in it will reproduce fast enough to not all get eaten. They also like Anacharis. Might be other types also. There are auto feeders you can buy also. Can set them up to feed just every few days? Also if it's still cold where you live they should not be eating regular food anyways in temps that are under 55. Wheat germ type is best for cooler temps.

Ask a Question