Fish Health - Blackening and Blindness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

New to posting on the forums and owning a fish pond. However have found posts on here very helpful whilst getting to grips with a pond we inherited with a house purchase.

Everything has been going ok so far, some upgrades to filtration system and food primarily have done wonders for the clarity of the pond.

I have hit my first major hurdle with fish health. We have a ~3000 litre pond stock with 20+ goldfish (we think as they are definitely not Koi).

The other day I noticed one of the fish darting around the surface whilst feeding before taking a sharp downward turn and swimming headfirst into the bottom of the pond. There was nothing obvious in his coloration to begin with as the fish are all a variation of black, white, gold, and combination of all 3. However after a few days its scales started turning black on each side. From reading online I thought this to be healing, but its swimming was a still erratic when feeding comparative to the others. No other fish was displaying this behaviour.

To be sure, I filled a 40 litre container to segregate and treat with anti bacterial and anti parasite for a week. Additionally this allowed me to feed some sinking feed so it could easily access some food, although it was still able to scoop feed from the surface by pure chance.

After the week the swimming was less erratic so I placed it back in the main pond. Today however it seems the blindness has gotten worse (more scar tissue over the eyes) and now a prominent lump from below its bottom jaw. I have added pictures.

I have no idea of the age of the fish in the pond, so could this be an age thing? or is there something more obvious to those in the know?

Attachments

• IMG_5066.JPG
    IMG_5066.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5064.JPG
    IMG_5064.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5065.JPG
    IMG_5065.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5062.JPG
    IMG_5062.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5063.JPG
    IMG_5063.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5061.JPG
    IMG_5061.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
sunwelcome-1.gif
@Wake8546
Sorry I can't help w/whatever is wrong but hopefully someone here can. Maybe check your ammonia levels as I just read that it can cause blackness and erratic behavior. I would get a test kit and check all your levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@j.w is correct. The black can be from ammonia burns.

If you don't have them, please get liquid type tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and pH. Those are considered essential for keeping up with the water quality of your pond. If you post the results here, maybe we can get an idea of what is going on.

Most problems are the result of poor water quality so it is important to know its parameters.

And welcome to the forum. Sorry for the reason you are here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@j.w and @WaterGardener I have attached the results from my test kit, it is one I had for the tropical aquarium, but assume fresh water is fresh water?

Only thing that looks off is the PH, very alkaline?

Others seem ok to me?

Appreciate your input gents, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5069.JPG
    IMG_5069.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5070.JPG
    IMG_5070.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5071.JPG
    IMG_5071.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5072.JPG
    IMG_5072.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 6

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w and @WaterGardener I have attached the results from my test kit, it is one I had for the tropical aquarium, but assume fresh water is fresh water?

Only thing that looks off is the PH, very alkaline?

Others seem ok to me?

Appreciate your input gents, thanks.
So then maybe a disease?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, thanks @WaterGardener that is good to know. @j.w any ideas on disease, what concerns me the most is the object pertrouding from below its bottom jaw. One theory on the blackening is that it is healing from some sort of damage. Potentially if it went blind first then the damage to the side of the body could be from constantly bumping in to things? Again could this have caused the object pertrouding from its bottom jaw do you think?

Overall the other fish are doing well from what I can tell. So stumped as to why it is only affecting this one. I guess it could be age related too?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok, thanks @WaterGardener that is good to know. @j.w any ideas on disease, what concerns me the most is the object pertrouding from below its bottom jaw. One theory on the blackening is that it is healing from some sort of damage. Potentially if it went blind first then the damage to the side of the body could be from constantly bumping in to things? Again could this have caused the object pertrouding from its bottom jaw do you think?

Overall the other fish are doing well from what I can tell. So stumped as to why it is only affecting this one. I guess it could be age related too?
I'm not up on diseases of fish, sorry. All I do is search the net. Maybe check in and join koiphen.com as they have people there that might be of help to you. Hope your fish makes it!

Ask a Question