First Pond Progress Thread

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh btw, all of those small boulders stacked up in the middle of the pond aren’t staying. Those were the original rocks we pulled out of the way to set these much bigger rocks in the deep end

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD that is a great point about the straps. I learned after 1 boulder that using the thumb for setting is nearly impossible. It can slip out, bucket can hit the liner, etc. The sling is much gentler and precise.

The thumb is still great for staging and flipping rocks over outside of the pond.

I need to get a pic of my full front yard tomorrow it looks like a crazy person with a rock obsession lives at my house :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to my world you saw my build rock was everywhere but the pond. and i'm at it again. try setting the biggins onto small flatish rock much easier to get the strap out if there's a space below

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What beast of a machine! Looks like fun. As for the yard, here’s a shot of my front yard from the window right now, so crazy people coast to coast.

image.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice, looking good……looks like one of my job sites just on a smaller scale, areas where you do work with large stone always look like a disaster area until it doesn’t. I don’t think my customers truly understand it when I tell them we are going to make a huge mess in the work area and it will stay that way until it all comes together at the end.

You are Definitely dedicated out there setting rocks at night. Definitely the way to go with slings if you aren’t used to picking up rocks with a thumb. It takes a little practice to know when you have the rock well so it won’t slip out, and even then it still happens on occasion. Usually to the larger rocks that are going right against the liner too are hard to set gently and release it unless you have the rock perfectly oriented in the bucket. The thumb works best for man size boulders to get them in the area of where you want them then just grab it by hand and place it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I DO HOPE THATS WITH THE EXTRA 30 TON or you might be doing some strategic boulder placement around the yard. i loved the tiber tongs they work incredibly well . if i had a choice id get longer tines . the straps can be such a fight sometimes but like i said before place the boulder onto a smaller rock till the straps out. then hide the space with the gravel. though looks can be deceiving and rocks can disappear quickly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another full day. Slowly but surely making progress.

I think we’ve experienced every emotion today

62556727-8D28-40E9-820B-67F8D7DE2A54.jpeg
51FC1082-139A-4FA8-93BE-C4F2040C31F6.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love the little 6k machine I have access to, but that 18k looks awesome. I think I should have been a heavy equipment operator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's a great machine for that size project. Looks like the Mrs is being pulled in trying to hold the fabric from being pulled in

Reaction score
Country
United States
We still had two hours of daylight (after my last post) se we caught a second wind and kept going.

Our 3 boys were actually able to be near the pond and pitch in for the first time since we started. Easily the highlight of the project so far for me.

Below are the most current pictures.

I think we added the River rocks way too early and I’ll regret it later. But wow, what a morale boost for my nephew, wife, and me after a lot of hours of in the mud.

Also, we have the gravel packed in high on one side of level 2. Our thinking was to create a nice gravel bed for the large boulders being placed there. But, who knows…I’m sure with the next rain all that gravel will be washed right on top of our nice river rock.

CDDB7E6A-7E11-472F-B87E-7A8AEA4C31B9.jpeg

D67C4823-5086-4476-BF8A-7E263ADCB947.jpeg
98F490C1-8D63-4658-93E0-F0FAE9E5DFB5.jpeg
841B2BC9-53DE-40A9-AE53-1E22759C45AB.jpeg

@combatwombat you and me both! It’s a blast moving around gigantic boulders with a joystick!

@GBBUDD - I agree about this size machine. I was trying to find a 12k, honestly I was a little intimidated by anything bigger because this equipment-excavator and tractor-is all new to me (my background is finance/business). But now I think it’s perfect.

I actually picked up a very large boulder with the thumb without a sweat. But the same boulder broke one of my new straps. The straps are taking a beating from the limestone.

Finally, I love this forum! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback, comments, and your time!

More updates coming soon!

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We still had two hours of daylight (after my last post) se we caught a second wind and kept going.

Our 3 boys were actually able to be near the pond and pitch in for the first time since we started. Easily the highlight of the project so far for me.

Below are the most current pictures.

I think we added the River rocks way too early and I’ll regret it later. But wow, what a morale boost for my nephew, wife, and me after a lot of hours of in the mud.

Also, we have the gravel packed in high on one side of level 2. Our thinking was to create a nice gravel bed for the large boulders being placed there. But, who knows…I’m sure with the next rain all that gravel will be washed right on top of our nice river rock.

View attachment 149205
View attachment 149206View attachment 149207View attachment 149208

@combatwombat you and me both! It’s a blast moving around gigantic boulders with a joystick!

@GBBUDD - I agree about this size machine. I was trying to find a 12k, honestly I was a little intimidated by anything bigger because this equipment-excavator and tractor-is all new to me (my background is finance/business). But now I think it’s perfect.

I actually picked up a very large boulder with the thumb without a sweat. But the same boulder broke one of my new straps. The straps are taking a beating from the limestone.

Finally, I love this forum! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback, comments, and your time!

More updates coming soon!
Can't wait to see

Ask a Question