2022 caught 20 , 2023 #22 - #27: 2024, #28-32 Caught

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow never saw a garder large enough to grab a 10 inch fish
I'd never seen one this big in my life! There were two large ones of similar size that I caught (they still weren't big enough to swallow the big fish, just drag them out :/ that actually made me even more irritated since they kept doing it even after discovering they couldn't swallow them and all the big fish died this way). I don't mind snakes normally but it was slightly alarming seeing them in my backyard as they are usually so small. I can only assume they got so big eating the littler fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd never seen one this big in my life! There were two large ones of similar size that I caught (they still weren't big enough to swallow the big fish, just drag them out :/ that actually made me even more irritated since they kept doing it even after discovering they couldn't swallow them and all the big fish died this way). I don't mind snakes normally but it was slightly alarming seeing them in my backyard as they are usually so small. I can only assume they got so big eating the littler fish.
Wow where do you live in Wa.? I have never seen any big enough to eat that big of a fish or have never even had any bother my fish. I live up North in Arlington.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! That's some invasion you've got there! I hope you'll be able to get them all out before they do much more damage.
Well caught #8 some poor lil fry got into the minnow trap, #8 went in and ate them. It is hard to see, but I could see #8 eating the fish. Now #9 is going around the trap , might enter tonight, they seem to want to join their snake buddy. Fingers crossed we have two tomorrow am.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! That's some invasion you've got there! I hope you'll be able to get them all out before they do much more damage.
Our pond cams make it a tiny bit easier, we spot them from the house in the 1000 gallon pond. That is the favorite to the snakes. Poor fish don't have a lot of running room. I have been feeding them now and then, recently they do not even come up for food and there are not many fish left. They have been beyond spooked. All the small baby frogs are gone, they used to sit on the lily pads. That makes me sad, all the big frogs are gone, you hear none now.

I don't mind snakes but leave my ponds alone.

Traps will be reset when we get back home. I have looked off and on at the cams, but you almost need to glance watch all day to catch the sneaky suckers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was thinking more like In filling the cracks not so much so they are gone just less attractive and comfortable. Like use. So pond foam and trown peastone at it to make it look natural or s t one chips . Love the look of the rocks split and crevices .
But if I filled in the gaps, where would Wally live?
Wally 01.jpg

:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have some garter snakes that are over 3' long. Judging by the size of toads I've seem them swallow, I'd bet they would take a shot at a largeish fish. Fortunately I've never seen them in the pond, just nearby.

We did surprise a smaller racer a few days ago who had gotten a hold of a very large bullfrog. I'm pretty sure it was more than he could get down, and he dropped the frog who was injured, but not terminally. I put him in a shallow bucket of water in the shade & after he got over the shock of literally being saved from the maws of death, he disappeared back into the pond. Been watching for a scarred up frog, but haven't seen him since.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have not seen any snakes in a bit. The trap is set.

My 1000 gallon pond is down to 5 fish, I had around 25 plus minus. I had some beauties in there, home grown. Long fins black and white, all gone. Darn!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Came home and saw muytel the turtle swimming very fast across the pond toward me thought she was happy to see me . But alass she was after a new Comer another painted turtle . Doesn't appear to be the other we had this one has plates missing from the shell who knows. I was enjoying the one but if it gives muytel company I guess they can stay for now.

Starting to wonder how long untill a snapping turtle make it to the pond . But it will be tossed instantly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you haven't caught them all, take the five fish inside your home to an aquarium. Change water daily. Drain the pond and wait a month before returning refilling the pond and returning the fish. See if they have left by then. Snakes leave territories all the time for better food.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you haven't caught them all, take the five fish inside your home to an aquarium. Change water daily. Drain the pond and wait a month before returning refilling the pond and returning the fish. See if they have left by then. Snakes leave territories all the time for better food.
I have 11 ponds, drain that one they will move on to the next.

They fish between the big pond and the 1000 gallon pond. The 1000 gallon pond is a stock tank, the fish don't have as many escape places as the big pond. I tried to catch to move them to the big pond, but with all the lilies it was impossible and at the time the snakes started my broken wrist restricted what I could do.

Ask a Question