Bittercress is the absolute worst garden weed

Reaction score
5-10 years ago i had never seen or heard of bittercress.

Now it is easily the most annoying, pervasive weed in my yard, and the one i have absolutely no strategy for. It is basically pull early, pull often, and never stop pulling.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know what that one is — will have to look it up. I’m in the South, so we have our own weedy demons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And get to pulling it before those seeds dry, otherwise you have to wear goggles to keep them from shooting into your eyeballs as you're weeding! We call it 'exploding weed'. :cautious:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i take a blow torch to them and stop the seeds prior to flowering and before i pull it so no seeds just drop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In the west it's Goatheads. They puncture tires, go through the soles of shoes and each seed from a "head" can live 7 years.
1714044729274.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the west it's Goatheads. They puncture tires, go through the soles of shoes and each seed from a "head" can live 7 years. View attachment 162904
And where I live they are EVERYWHERE. For a long time it seemed like every time my kids went for a bike ride I had to change the inner tube due to a flat. (Patch kits just don't work well for me and are more work than putting in a new inner tube).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In the west it's Goatheads. They puncture tires, go through the soles of shoes and each seed from a "head" can live 7 years. View attachment 162904
We have none of these on the west side of Washington state fortunately but tons when we take our bikes camping to the east side! Awful for dogs and bike tires! Need heavy duty liners for the tires! These weeds like hot temps to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The little "exploding popcorn" seeds of bittercress are SO ANNOYING! Vetch is another menace. It is very pretty and delicate, but spreads so easily with seeds - it gets out of control.

Ask a Question