What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
j.w that's good to know about the vinegar. I have a gravel driveway (which I hate but we won't get into that) and I don't like to use pesticides in my yard. I'm going to have to give it a shot :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Rebuilt bog, lilies that have survived the koi (so far), gin rin kids and window box planters.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 225

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know you don't want to use poison to kill the weed seeds but did you know you can spray straight white vinegar on those weeds on a hot sunny day..............has to be on a hot sunny day as it burns the heck out of them better that way. We use it on our gravel driveway to the shop. Be careful w/ it around your grass or plants tho as it will kill them also.
I use the same technique, j.w. The key, as you said, is to apply on warm days - preferably in the direct sun. (y)
Thanks JW, work in progress! Still want to plant more around the edges. All the river rock I have, surrounding 2 sides of the pond, I'm discovering is a weed seed catch all! So rethinking that. Wondered about removing the rock and using mulch? Not sure yet. Also thought about turning the planting area in the center picture into a bog. Would be a perfect place but I also like the plants and walkway. HMMMM :confused:
You could add drain rock - it comes in 50 lbs. bags at the big box stores - after killing existing weeds with vinegar. The drain rock is small river rock, 1/2 to 1 inch pieces - they're beautiful little stones once rinsed. My point being, once your gravel/rock base is deep enough, the weeds have a hard time establishing roots. Our gravel and rock are laid eight inches or deeper around our pond and stream - too deep for a lot of weeds but the little ones that do sprout are easily pulled or sprayed with vinagar on warm summer days. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
great pictures everybody! I love looking at all the different ponds and fish.

@haver79 Would you mind showing some closer photos of your stock tank? I need to get a better feel for how these are set up. Is that green crate always on your water fall? How is it set up?

Sure I can take some pics tomorrow. I Actually would like to hide it a little better. That is the low area and ground slopes in that area so I really have it sitting up higher than I would like.
No the milk crate is there with quilt batting catching floating algea. I have to split my hoses coming off my pump or the skippy will overflow. That is the 2nd hose which I use to filter through the quilt batting. I only put that there when the water is murky. It has cleared up nicely now so I can take it out. I just tuck the 2nd hose amoung the rocks in the falls for extra flow. (bypass the skippy)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I know you don't want to use poison to kill the weed seeds but did you know you can spray straight white vinegar on those weeds on a hot sunny day..............has to be on a hot sunny day as it burns the heck out of them better that way. We use it on our gravel driveway to the shop. Be careful w/ it around your grass or plants tho as it will kill them also.

Hey I will try that JW, thanks for the tip. Today would of been perfect although the ground is really wet from the rain we got the last couple days. Will definitely try the vinegar on a nice sunny day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty I have one that is opening its eyes too now. Mine is more yellow tho unless it's just how the light hits them. Have some others too but forgot what they looked like. Guess I'll see when they arrive :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very nice JW glad you had a beautiful day. Is that variegated sweet flag you have in the center of the pond? If so, do you have it in a pot of pea gravel or kitty litter?

JB your pond is looking nice and clear. That bog must be doing its job.

Ask a Question