Up flow wetland bog filter

Reaction score
i'm about to try one with no snorkel at all, but mine will be downstream of at least two mechanical filters (the filter pad of a savio skimmer and the filter basket of the pump).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm about to try one with no snorkel at all, but mine will be downstream of at least two mechanical filters (the filter pad of a savio skimmer and the filter basket of the pump).
Risking it ;)

I've got two bottom drains going through to the bog, so I'm looking at putting an drum filter in before the bog

Reaction score
my bottom filter goes to my skimmer, which has pretty good filter media (at least, it gets quite sludgy and i have to rinse it multiple times per week, daily in the spring when i first fire up the pond), so i'm not too concerned with that sludge getting into the bog. should be a fun experiment! seems pretty easy to add a snorkel later in my setup, if needed.

Reaction score
Risking it ;)

I've got two bottom drains going through to the bog, so I'm looking at putting an drum filter in before the bog
This is a good idea, this is exactly what works for me. First a drum and then a swamp.

What kind of drum filter do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a good idea, this is exactly what works for me. First a drum and then a swamp.

What kind of drum filter do you have?
I've just brought a second hand Fitreau hf30, iI may drill another inlet into it for the intake bay/skimmer to go in to it too.

hopefully I will be fitting it next week, but I also have to bring 10 tonnes of pebbles and gravel around to back garden and fill the bog.:eek:

Reaction score
I've just brought a second hand Fitreau hf30, iI may drill another inlet into it for the intake bay/skimmer to go in to it too.

hopefully I will be fitting it next week, but I also have to bring 10 tonnes of pebbles and gravel around to back garden and fill the bog.:eek:

We are waiting for photos when everything is ready

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Risking it ;)

Back to the drum are you. Not sure you need to go that route with a bog but I do know I'm living my nano bead filter attached to the pond but I have the supply line split . AZfter the basket strainer to the pump . 50 % of flow goes to the bog, and 50 % to the bead. Then they both return to the pond.
Just checked out your drum filter and it looks to be a good $1000 bucks less than what I have ever seen here in te stares and my biggest issues was lack of support.
I think my next look into is going to be ozone if only at a minimal amount.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my bottom filter goes to my skimmer, which has pretty good filter media (at least, it gets quite sludgy and i have to rinse it multiple times per week, daily in the spring when i first fire up the pond), so i'm not too concerned with that sludge getting into the bog. should be a fun experiment! seems pretty easy to add a snorkel later in my setup, if needed.
Why would a bottom drain go to a skimmer. I think that's a first.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back to the drum are you. Not sure you need to go that route with a bog but I do know I'm living my nano bead filter attached to the pond but I have the supply line split . AZfter the basket strainer to the pump . 50 % of flow goes to the bog, and 50 % to the bead. Then they both return to the pond.
Just checked out your drum filter and it looks to be a good $1000 bucks less than what I have ever seen here in te stares and my biggest issues was lack of support.
I think my next look into is going to be ozone if only at a minimal amount.
I got it second hand so only cost $500, I had an email chat with Kev at ozponds, he wasn't keen on any fish solids going into the bog, so i thought, if I can find low cost drum I'll give that a go

Ask a Question