Down Flow Bog Filter idea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all

I was wonder what if I was to create a bog that was set up more like the aquascape up flow bog filter system. Something like this here

1713476192250.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

However I'm looking at doing away with the inline

1713476125438.png

Then adding air lift pump tubes to the snorkels that I could remove from them if I needed to.
Which would turn it into a down flow filter system
So I would then have two clean out options
- Drain the bog enough so the top stone is no longer under water so that I could hose off the stone and the air lift pump could sit pump water out
- I could drain the bog take the air lift pump out of the snorkel and drop in a sump pump for clean out.

Plus I would use air lift pumps like this one here
There wouldn't be any pressure on a pump or a pump to get clogged and if it ran dry while cleaning its only air.
Oh and its only 20 Watts to run.

I would love you hear feedback on this bog idea.

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all

I was wonder what if I was to create a bog that was set up more like the aquascape up flow bog filter system. Something like this here

View attachment 162774

However I'm looking at doing away with the inline

View attachment 162773

Then adding air lift pump tubes to the snorkels that I could remove from them if I needed to.
Which would turn it into a down flow filter system
So I would then have two clean out options
- Drain the bog enough so the top stone is no longer under water so that I could hose off the stone and the air lift pump could sit pump water out
- I could drain the bog take the air lift pump out of the snorkel and drop in a sump pump for clean out.

Plus I would use air lift pumps like this one here
There wouldn't be any pressure on a pump or a pump to get clogged and if it ran dry while cleaning its only air.
Oh and its only 20 Watts to run.

I would love you hear feedback on this bog idea.

Thanks for your time.
Thats what i get for not reading the entire post. This is the better video. i made two of these air lift tubes and they do work well. The isue with air is the clogging of the filter. if your pulling the water down through the stone what is going to filter the water before it starts to head for the filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats what i get for not reading the entire post. This is the better video. i made two of these air lift tubes and they do work well. The isue with air is the clogging of the filter. if your pulling the water down through the stone what is going to filter the water before it starts to head for the filter.

Ok what if you layer it more like this here so that the sand cant get down to the bottom ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think clogging will be the issue - the stuff that accumulates on the top will overwhelm the filter in my opinion. We have a down flow bog of sorts at our negative edge and have to rake it out on a regular basis. The sediment and algae can get thick enough to sop the water from flowing through completely.

Ask a Question