Questions concerning attracting American bullfrogs to backyard ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I couldn't keep the bullfrogs out if I wanted to. They lived in the pond even when it was a chlorinated swimming pool. They did not care. Even when we were swimming in it. Now that it's a pond, they are even happier (and me too!). I'm not too worried, after purchasing a total of 9 fish, I currently have around 80.

We also have a lot of other kinds of frogs.
We used to have a swimming pool that would get frogs and toads in it.
Usually, the frogs become trapped, even when they don't want to stay.

Small mammals, snakes, and salamanders would also fall in, and would drown when there wasn't anything to climb out onto (some salamanders actually lack lungs and cannot float, so they were entirely dependant on us to save them).

Make sure you provide a way for them to escape easily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Toads have a high survival rate because their spawn and tadpoles are somewhat poisonous to predators, but the eggs and tadpoles of most species don't survive to reach the frog stage, especially in ponds where fish are present.

Bullfrogs are too territorial to congregate at ponds, except when young.
Most ponds won't sustain more than a few adult bullfrogs, which will eat most other frogs and even each other (and sometimes small fish).
I agree. Based on the sheer number of frog & toad eggs that get laid in my pond each year, I should be up to my armpits in amphibians around here. Somehow their numbers all seem to be able to strike a happy balance, and of course the toads and wood frogs don't hang around in the pond after they finish developing (they move back to the woods & garden). Plus, we can always count on George to stop by & help thin the frog numbers from time to time....
On the hunt:
George by pond 01+.jpg

After lunch:
George by pond 05+.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We used to have a swimming pool that would get frogs and toads in it.
Usually, the frogs become trapped, even when they don't want to stay.

Small mammals, snakes, and salamanders would also fall in, and would drown when there wasn't anything to climb out onto (some salamanders actually lack lungs and cannot float, so they were entirely dependant on us to save them).

Make sure you provide a way for them to escape easily.
Yep. I have stairs into the pond that have plants on them, and a planter at surface level on one side, and floating baskets with water hyacinths. The frogs often go out hunting in the yard when the weather is suitable.

Reaction score
Toads have a high survival rate because their spawn and tadpoles are somewhat poisonous to predators, but the eggs and tadpoles of most species don't survive to reach the frog stage, especially in ponds where fish are present.

Bullfrogs are too territorial to congregate at ponds, except when young.
Most ponds won't sustain more than a few adult bullfrogs, which will eat most other frogs and even each other (and sometimes small fish).
Tell me about it, during the rainy season I literally walk on toads. When they leave the water they're tiny and mostly you don't even know you're squashing them under you shoes. They look like a little crumble of soil. Sadly far too many do survive. Yes only a few snake species are able to digest European toad poison and fish tend to leave the eggs alone for the same reason, unfortunately the fish often do eat a few and die. For us Chinese cobras and red necked keel-backs happily eat the most toads both species extremely poisonous. Foam nest eggs which drip out the nests are also possibly toxic as they always seem to kill any fish that eats too many. The eggs drip out if there is a sudden rain.

I think all ponds will eventually attract a frog or two but there are ways to situate your pond to try and minimise frog problems. Remember frogs also attract birds which also love eating fish......

Unfortunately foam nest tree frogs wiped out my Rosy barbs and I was just begining to see results in my breeding efforts. They contaminate the ponds with so many tiny tadpoles the fish died of suffocation. I had to go away for a week and no one gathered the nests each morning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one frog that never really leaves the pond. I am not sure if its a bullfrog or a green or bronze frog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have my fare share of frogs but i really don't find tad poles. My water flow is probably too much for tad poles i do have a small pool in the bog where i have seen some but there is never a shortage. Even with a red tail hawk helping him self to the crew.

but ever since i put up the latest cables overhead i have not seen the hawk pond side. so that's a bummer i enjoyed the hawk but when the bald eagle came in that was the straw the broke the camel's

caught this big girl at the pond last night sh was either expecting or she had a real good meal
frog 160740.jpg
back..

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm In the no no no camp.
Frogs, toads, tree frogs, spotted stream frogs, bullfrogs which ever, all but a very few are a menace. I would gladly pay a fortune for a functional frog trap. Any I do manage to catch I relocate to wild swampy zones some distance from me. However I have a feeling they all eventually find their way back.
I stirred up a con-TROVeresy as the English would say. American bullfrogs are not welcome in BC, but Americans certainly are. When we moved into West (wet) Vancouver in the 1970s there were lots of little tree frogs.There calling was wonderful. In the 80s, a neighbour a block away had them all in their shallow pond mating and calling. Noisy but temporary. Now, they are all gone, and I don't know why.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I agree. Based on the sheer number of frog & toad eggs that get laid in my pond each year, I should be up to my armpits in amphibians around here. Somehow their numbers all seem to be able to strike a happy balance, and of course the toads and wood frogs don't hang around in the pond after they finish developing (they move back to the woods & garden). Plus, we can always count on George to stop by & help thin the frog numbers from time to time....
On the hunt:
View attachment 163442
After lunch:
View attachment 163443
George looks well fed. KB

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My problem, in SW BC is not frogs but raccoons. They will eat every water lily and water hyacinth I have. So I have an electric wire around the pond which also keeps the Great Blue Herons away. Now I have two many gold fish. I need George the snake!
Ken

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bullfrog I named Lucille she always showed up in the spring, would mate then leave. I fed her lots of worms to keep her from eating my my fish and other frogs

Attachments

• TNG_0025.JPG
    TNG_0025.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, folks!

As I've mentioned on an older post, I was planning on changing the design of the outdoor red-eared slider pond (which, a year later, hasn't been built yet).

The pond would be designed in a way to keep our turtle contained, while still allowing frogs, dragonflies, birds, butterflies, bees, backswimmers, and diving beetles easy access to the pond. There would also be some small fish in the pond to eat mosquito larvae and pupae.

I originally planned to obtain bullfrog tadpoles for release in the pond. But apparently, it's illegal in our state to release tadpoles or frogs into an outdoor pond if they originate out of the state.

There's really no need to release tadpoles into the pond, though. Bullfrogs are common in our area and can colonize any backyard pond on their own.

However, does anyone have any suggestions regarding attracting bullfrogs to outdoor ponds?

I've heard that they prefer shallow, still, warm, and vegetated water. Our pond would be most of those things.

I'm aware that bullfrogs can be big. Do they need more space than other frogs?
The pond would probably be no more than 6' x 4' in diameter and 2' deep. It would probably have a capacity of only 150-300 gallons.

I'm also aware that they (and their huge tadpoles) hibernate under the ice. Are they hardier than goldfish, or do they also require an open area of the surface to allow oxygen penetration?

Also, if the pond is too shallow, will they migrate to deeper water before winter and return in the spring? I believe I've heard of frogs breeding and overwintering in different ponds from some sources, but I'm curious about how often that occurs.

I've also heard that bullfrogs tend to be nomads, moving from one pond to the next and rarely settling down in one place.

Any input, especially from experience, would be appreciated.
Thanks! God bless!
I think having bullfrogs in a pond is like having jihadists as neighbors!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think having bullfrogs in a pond is like having jihadis
George looks well fed. KB
I have a George too, that shows up from time to time and a Barney, "a Barn Owl" Nature has a way of balancing it all out. The upside to Bullfrogs is watching the metamorphosis take place slowly from tad poles to frogs

Attachments

• TNG_0097.JPG
    TNG_0097.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 11
  • TNG_0047.JPG
    TNG_0047.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 11

Ask a Question