Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Apparently some of the next door neighbor's cows found a hole in the fence......
I had to chase them away. They were starting to do some damage.

2013-05-24 13.28.36.jpg

2013-05-24 13.28.48.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Did somebody say Steaks? I am craving a big black Angus rib steak please! Looks like you will have steaks for all! Ha ha

I see it looks overcast and gloomy there, are you still getting rain? I heard Calgary got a record amount and some places got like 100 mm? You must have got a fair bit of that rain? I had to take the hubby to the doctor for a regular checkup yesterday, we drove to Calgary and it was rain all the way up and I did not turn off my windshield wippers till I just about got back to Medicine Hat!
Going to take the puppies to the park now, will see how big the South Saskatchewan river is today!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We received 110 mm here over the last 3 days. It looks like it's over for now.
This morning is was rain mixed with snow! . The pond got a good water change as a result.
Hope everything checked out ok for your hubby.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes everything checked out good for hubby, everything going fine, hubby making good progress and is working hard again these days. Hubby will get some touch up work from plastic surgeon this fall. They like to see hubby on a regular basis for now, and I am so proud of him now, because he went through so much, but it is just so amazing that he recovered from the whole ordeal, and I feel so truly blessed to have him here today.

Hubby and favorite nefew.... favorite nefew cause he comes to see us almost every weekend and loves to help us out! He is a good kid too and works very hard, how lucky can I get? :)

Attachments

• IMAG8385.jpg
    IMAG8385.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG8378.jpg
    IMAG8378.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG8373.jpg
    IMAG8373.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It doesn't get any better than that, Colleen. Relatives, friends, neighbors, anyone that will come by and offer a hand to help you out, or just come to visit. What a great nephew he is in deed!!!
Mitch/Colleen, I just looked up how many inches 110 mm is! WOW!!!! 4.3" I got 4" during the whole time I was gone on vacation (9 days) and thought that was a lot. I agree with Colleen, you need an ark ... wait, you're wayyyyy up on a hill or mountain, so you're good to go. Glad you found the cows before they decided to go swimming in your pond! Guess if you had snow, it would have been too cold for them to think about that, but in the summer .... that neighbor better start checking his fences more often. I have neighbor's cows here, just 2, and if the electric is shut off for more than 15 minutes, that older cow will know it and go check her favorite spot to get out! Horses are not that smart, or at least they don't try to get out like his cows do. I can leave electric off for months and no worries. Only time they want or try to get out is if the grass in the pasture is dead, and outside is lush. Then I have to worry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome back, CE! Hope you had a great holiday!

There's been the same 6 cows wandering somewhere around our property for the last couple of weeks now. I don't like to call the neighbors and tell them because they're a very nice couple and they get very concerned and apologetic when their cows show up at our place.
There's lots for the cows to eat and a natural pond on the other side of our property, so they're not suffering by any means. Eventually I'll run across them and will herd them back into our neighbor's place. It must be hard keeping track of livestock when they have mostly a spruce/poplar forest to roam around in.

The baby moose from last fall is back, on his own, the mother is back with a new baby. The moose have been helping themselves to the pond water and started to step into the pond itself! They couldn't care less about the dogs barking. They only leave once I come out and get close. I really don't want to put up a fence......

With all the constant rain we've had it's been too muddy for any more rock gathering trips. Be nice if it dried up soon.

Colleen, I have some friends over in Maple Creek and they said they had a near tornado touch down there recently. Hope you didn't get any wind damage!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We are fine, had some wind the other day, but I am down in a valley surrounded by near by hills that break a lot of wind, but I do get gusts of wind. When it is windy, I hear the wind blow up high in the tree tops. My friend lives on the other side of town, up hill and by the outskirts of town, and the wind never stops for her up there! I got this big medal wind mill that won't spin for me cause I don't have enough wind, might give it to her for her garden, at least it will spin good up there!

Mitch, you better keep the big moose away from the pond, if you can, cause they are so heavy and could wreak the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
capewind said:
Steaks at your place tonight????

I ran across the neighbors while they were out fixing the fence and they asked if they could rent part of our property for about 40 head of cattle - and pay us rent in beef!

There will be steaks! Enough for everyone! :biggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, but I'm glad for it. I was out Friday and all day today repairing 1/2 mile of barbed wire fence to keep the cattle secure.
That's all done now. :)

It's cutting into my rock collecting time though!

Soon enough we'll be wishing for cool weather again!

Ask a Question