Pond cleanout and Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will be cleaning out my 2 year old pond over the weekend. How long can I leave my Koi in a large kiddie pool? Will probably take me two days because I am redoing the edege . Will they be ok in a 1000 gallon kid pool for that long? No filtration just air bubblers. I have 13 varying from 12-14 inches.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
A bit late if things went according to plan but with enough aeration, I would have said long enough, as long as the fish were not fed for a while before time, and during to reduce water pollution. Would have suggested monitoring for ammonia also to be sure and netting the top of the pool in case of jumpers. Other factors would have been water temps. since cooler water=more oxygen.

So how did it go? Hopefully ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i check close to every day the whats new and new posts. this post never showed it's self in 4 days

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bit late if things went according to plan but with enough aeration, I would have said long enough, as long as the fish were not fed for a while before time, and during to reduce water pollution. Would have suggested monitoring for ammonia also to be sure and netting the top of the pool in case of jumpers. Other factors would have been water temps. since cooler water=more oxygen.

So how did it go? Hopefully ok.

Thanks for the input! All went well. I had aeration in the holding tank but after a day ammonia was starting to build. I dumped half the water and added clean(treated) water and the levels came back down to acceptable. I used pond water to flush the large pieces of sludge down to the bottom where I pumped it out. Then I used a pressure cleaner to lightly and quickly clean the rocks in the waterfall above the waters edges. I did not linger so hopefully the tap water did not kill off all my slime coat. Filled it back up and added a ton of beneficial bacteria and aquascape protect. I gave away 3 of my large Koi and now only have 11 which is still pushing it for the size pond I have. All in all it was a lot of work but everything seems ok. Fish are back in and seem back to normal.

Ask a Question