addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year has been intense. I knew I had leaks last year, all I could do was add water, unable to work on the ponds. So this year I decided isolated, fix.

Turn all off except the main pond, no issue.

Turn on the 1000 gallon pond, lose 5 inches over night. It waterfalls into the big pond. I redid that waterfall a few weeks ago, during a warm winter day.

So what else is wrong. Ripped apart the water fall that goes into the 1000 gallon pond. Find the 2 inch pipe coming out of the 55 gallon pretend filter was totally loose, dumping water onto the ground. Good grief, 10 years not glued and it decided to come out of the holding. Glue the sucker, rebuild the waterfall, a ton of rocks moved and put back.

Finally turned on again, zero water loss.
20230413_113846.jpg

Ok now turn on the loop ponds, water loss. Check each one, all ok , liners ok, no folds no critter liner down leaks. Get to the final loop pond, the small hill the liner was on to direct the water into the big pond, had been stepped on, critter, me who knows. Water was running back up under the liner into the ground.

Tear that apart, long and short add some liner, didn't help, fix the slope, didn't help made the water too high in the pond so it leaked out around the edges.
So get out the pl roofing goop, goop the crap out of between the two liners, stop the water from going up and out. Turn it back on, no leaks! Rock to the right covers the water exit. It is a mess right now, I yanked a lot of the growth, could not see the water last year at all.
20230413_132627.jpg

Next pull out 24 lilies, groom clean, feed, add litter 4 bags, put back.

Walk the stream fix the deer rock damage, clean up the winter debris, 4 - 5 gallon buckets worth. Turn the stream on and remove more debris missed during the first clean up.

Nothing but pond work the last 6 days, I am so done! Right now all doing great, right now!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This year has been intense. I knew I had leaks last year, all I could do was add water, unable to work on the ponds. So this year I decided isolated, fix.

Turn on the 1000 gallon pond, lose 5 inches over night. It waterfalls into the big pond. I redid that waterfall a few weeks ago, during a warm winter day.

So what else is wrong. Ripped apart the water fall that goes into the 1000 gallon pond. Find the 2 inch pipe coming out of the 55 gallon pretend filter was totally loose, dumping water onto the ground. Good grief, 10 years not glued and it decided to come out of the holding. Glue the sucker, rebuild the waterfall, a ton of rocks moved and put back.

View attachment 156820

Ok now turn on the loop ponds, water loss. Check each one, all ok , liners ok, no folds no critter liner down leaks. Get to the final loop pond, the small hill the liner was on to direct the water into the big pond, had been stepped on, critter, me who knows. Water was running back up under the liner into the ground.

Tear that apart, long and short add some liner, didn't help, fix the slope, didn't help made the water too high in the pond so it leaked out around the edges.
So get out the pl roofing goop, goop the crap out of between the two liners, stop the water from going up and out. Turn it back on, no leaks! Rock to the right covers the water exit. It is a mess right now, I yanked a lot of the growth, could not see the water last year at all.
View attachment 156821

Walk the stream fix the deer rock damage, clean up the winter debris, 4 - 5 gallon buckets worth. Turn the stream on and remove more debris missed during the first clean up.

Nothing but pond work the last 6 days, I am so done! Right now all doing great, right now!
I'm so tired now just reading all that you have done today! Glad you found all the stuff that needed to be fixed..............hope no more till the deer come back and rearrange all the furniture again :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

View attachment 156820

View attachment 156821

Wow - so many chores! Now I need a nap.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sounds exhausting but I'm envious that you can do all that. Another shoulder surgery last month on top of diagnosis of carpal tunnel damage in both hands. It will be June before I'm able to get out there and do anything. I'm just glad there have been no issues with the ponds- so far!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze addy I sure am in the same boat . I am loosing water but I think it is from heat and wind . I have had winds gust 55 and 60 mph and it has been really warm . today i mowed and it said 83 but then weatherman said it feels more like 87 degrees and then temps . at night drop down to the 40's and even mid 30's .We even got a frost the other morning but i was prepared and covered my plants

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm so tired now just reading all that you have done today! Glad you found all the stuff that needed to be fixed..............hope no more till the deer come back and rearrange all the furniture again :rolleyes:
Lol it was not just today, about six days of non stop pond work. not counting warm winter days working on it.
on top of diagnosis of carpal tunnel damage in both hands
Good luck! I had both done, and elbows cut I had a trapped ulnar nerve under a extra muscle. great surgeon, can't even see the wrist scar. Elbows bit different about 5 inches. I had severe rt moderate lt

My left is still weak, mainly due to the break. Can't open a lot of bottles but channel locks work.

I push my arm trying to build it back up. Heavy rocks got moved, some by rolling, walking them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. I am loosing water but I think it is from heat and wind .
I was losing some in the big pond, nothing running, but the bog. High heat, low humidity sucks it right out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 156820

Labor of love and damn if it can't be a ton of labor .. the clear advantage to one man rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not work when you love it... haha! Who am I kidding? It's all work, but it's work I love doing. So much better than the day job sitting at a desk all day. I don't mind so much when it's mid-winter, but these beautiful days make me long to be outdoors!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I enjoy being outside, these last few days over 80, but for us, unreal low humidity. When it hit 85 I had to quit, too warm for me even without humidity. Rather be outside then clean house.

I walked down to see how it did, but it is still too dark to see in the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I enjoy being outside, these last few days over 80, but for us, unreal low humidity. When it hit 85 I had to quit, too warm for me even without humidity. Rather be outside then clean house.

I walked down to see how it did, but it is still too dark to see in the water.
Looking now at your video and it looks way clearer today then yesterday! I see you out there working your butt off again :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking now at your video and it looks way clearer today then yesterday! I see you out there working your butt off again :cool:
This is catch up year for losing all of last year. The ponds gave me a lot of headaches last year, water leaks, snakes, etc. I am on a mission to make it a ignore the ponds year, without issues....................

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far ZERO water loss! Loving it, all the little , lose a bit here, lose a bit there, lose a lot when the pipe popped loose are fixed. Last year I was adding a hour plus of water every day, waiting until I could rip things apart.

Rebuilt three waterfalls, one fixed the drop, one wider liner, one fixed the feed tube and redid all the rocks on all of them. Redid the edges on all of the loop ponds, during a few of our fake winter warm days.

Tackling the muck in the pond that the hornwort grew like a forest in. Yesterday actually had clean water drags instead of black muck! Mainly working the deep end where it seems to really collect. Running out of time the critters will be dropping the tads, then done until they are grown.

In the bog tiny tree frog tads, tons of them
20230414_131649.jpg

Waiting for the water to clear so I can see the bottom. Really stirred up, fish chasing like crazy. A rain day, love them!

But now taking a break! arms, hands, back tell me I have done too much. But need to mow and a few yard things before we take off.

Finally able to head to our boat, BOAT = Break Out Another Ten Thousand or Thousand
On land to fix leaking rudders, then a miscommunication, ie winterizing, a few water lines cracked due to winter, etc etc etc.......................have water again, no leaking rudders and etc. In our slip waiting on us to arrive, first a few appointments then off to the BOAT!

I am taking books, food, wine, feet up doing NOTHING!

Ask a Question