natural looking water edge

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn where does your stream go to on the right side of the page? Everything looks so lush and green...man I wish it was spring already!

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi guys; nice pictures, illustrations etc;

speaking of creeping jenny, many consider it a weed, but not me! I found that it tolerates shade and dry weather pretty well; what a surprise!

It "found its way" over to my smallish bog (in the photo). Notice there are no rocks around the bog. it is made of cement, saucer shape; and I used a sledge to knock some cracks into it for drainage. The pup really likes it too

if you buy it, it is often a pretty yellow, but it tends to go to green if there's a lot of shade; OTOH, when exposed to full sun, it goes yellow

Attachments

• DSC03938.jpg
    DSC03938.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC02873.jpg
    DSC02873.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC02882.jpg
    DSC02882.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 300

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That looks very nice there David and looks like your cute pup approves of it also!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My creeping jenny is a purplish color with the cold, but still alive. It will prob take off once spring comes around.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine's turned brown and it's just tucked in between the rocks so hope it's ok w/ it's roots in just water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
rebelangel - The stream is meant to appear to just disappear under the edge of that large red slate. One of those projects to finish up this year is dressing up that slate with some more pieces plus some plants. I want it to appear as the mouth of a cave.

In reality, that small pond is the end of the flow. It sits right up against some very large tree roots. My water pumps sit in the bottom here and push the water back to the falls.

addy & j.w - my jenny is purplish through the Winter as well, although some of it hanging down into the water stays green year-round. Being in the water doesn't seem to hurt it in the slightest. This morning it is frozen solid in the ice, but by tomorrow the ice will be melted off again.

Last year all of my jenny did a great job of spreading out and covering all of the bare soil around the new pond. I'm exciting for this coming year, because the jenny will now start cascading down into the water and create a lush hiding place for newborns. The ring of rocks around the edge of my pond will be broken up by all the green, plus the plants help somewhat lock the rocks in place so the dogs don't push them into the water. I wanna see some koi babies!!!

Reaction score
I took the screening material used for screen doors, then placed some grass seeds and dirt then rolled the material back. Only problems I've discovered is the grass tends to soak up the water and the dying grass may be bumping up the Ph levels. Fish have not been effected and you can't see the liner. I will be taking a look and possibly pull the grass/screening material out and replace with some flat rock that is available throughout the mountain area when I live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very pretty, and neat description picture. I envy people who know how to do that. I just have my pencil drawings, and then when I don't have graph paper, I make my own. LOL Thanks for the picture and then the photo of your pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love that bird bath with the succulents .Gosh would love to have something like it but it gets so dry and hot here

Reaction score
here is a pic of the beach that is illustrated in the drawing...Country a friend did the illustration
for me...she even put my fish in it . :) I can't do that either...

Sissy -- to plant the bird bath, you need to drill holes in the bowl for water to go through..
Don't succulents need less water?

here's the beach...at the deepest part it's about 10 to 12 inches, depending on how much
water is in the pond...the overall size is 4 foot x 5 foot. we feed them in the beach, so no
matter where they are as soon as they hear us they come running to the beach, it's
hysterical.

P1010981_rev__fish_6-10_-06.JPG

Reaction score
Actually pondlover, in the beach pic, it just looks like they are coming up on the rocks
because the water is so clear.
However, they do come all the way up, I have a few pics showing that they're not afraid to
shimmy up the rocks.

check this out, the white koi is 3/4 of the way out of the water.

P1011213pond__rev6-20-06.JPG

Ask a Question