JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't remember if I've talked about this before or not, but I share a pretty large burning pit with my neighbor. In recent years we haven't used it very much and it often grows very weedy around the edge and never gets trimmed by either of us. So over the past few years I've dropped some seed heads along the edge. I figure if it's going to grow, it might as well have natives. This year I've counted at least 8 native species, 5 species that came from me and 3 that moved in on their own. It's kind of a mini-project for me. I'm not too invested in it since it could get burned, mowed, or trampled on. But while it's there it will benefit wildlife, and it's been improving a little each year. There are a lot of invasives in it though. I cut them back every so often to prevent seeding, but I think they'll probably always be here unless I want to buy and use chemicals - and I have to remind myself it's just a burning pit so I don't really plan on spending any money on it.

IMG_2832 copy.jpg

IMG_2853 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't remember if I've talked about this before or not, but I share a pretty large burning pit with my neighbor. In recent years we haven't used it very much and it often grows very weedy around the edge and never gets trimmed by either of us. So over the past few years I've dropped some seed heads along the edge. I figure if it's going to grow, it might as well have natives. This year I've counted at least 8 native species, 5 species that came from me and 3 that moved in on their own. It's kind of a mini-project for me. I'm not too invested in it since it could get burned, mowed, or trampled on. But while it's there it will benefit wildlife, and it's been improving a little each year. There are a lot of invasives in it though. I cut them back every so often to prevent seeding, but I think they'll probably always be here unless I want to buy and use chemicals - and I have to remind myself it's just a burning pit so I don't really plan on spending any money on it.

View attachment 164352

View attachment 164353
Neat idea, prettying up the pit and giving some benefits to the wildlife 🥰

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our new wildflower garden is doing well- if I can keep the deer out. I had cut back most plants and sprayed some areas of yard with weed killer so we can replant. Milkweed beetles have destroyed all my plants so I cut down the empty stalks. Now we are getting monarchs! Have a few swamp Milkweed and some tropical. Have 10 caterpillars that are just forming cocoons. Found some eggs yesterday but going to be tough to feed any more.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So many leopard frogs this year. I haven't seen any by my pond but they're out in all of my native gardens.

IMG_6803 copy.jpg

IMG_6004 copy.jpg

IMG_5490 copy.jpg

It's a great year for ambush bugs too.
IMG_6784 copy.jpg

IMG_6781 copy.jpg

IMG_5943 copy.jpg

IMG_5941 copy.jpg

Crab spider
IMG_6587 copy.jpg

Butterflies

IMG_6742 copy.jpg

IMG_6010 copy.jpg

IMG_5772 1copy.jpg

IMG_5539 copy.jpg

IMG_5517 copy.jpg

IMG_4043 copy.jpg

IMG_4029 copy.jpg

Rusty-patched bumble bee
IMG_5081 copy.jpg

IMG_5071 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a small planting of Black Eyed Susan and hoping the Goldfinch will come to mine. It's our state bird and I see them now and then.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are inhaling the sunflower seeds, and all others. See a lot of them now.

I am highly allergic to the dried black eyed Susan stems. Those little fibers.

My friends remove after they are dried and done.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I need to make it a priority to add more asters to my gardens. I've got lots of New England Aster but I want a lot more Calico Aster, and I might let Frost Aster take over a couple of my smaller gardens.

IMG_9849 copy.jpg

IMG_9838 copy.jpg

IMG_9566 copy.jpg

IMG_9840 copy.jpg

Ask a Question