Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Sammy43 Hello and welcome!

According to this article I found, mosquito fish are live-bearers. What if you got that ONE fish…..that was a pregnant female?

Oh, and also, most fish prefer crowds. One little mosquito fish would be lonely. What other fish do you have? Goldfish will also eat mosquitoes.

IMG_7519.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My personal choice is any small fish will eat mosquitos and any other small zoo plankton some of which we want like dragon flies as they will put a huge hurt of mosquito larvea .

minnows have very short lives between 1 to 5 years on the high side. I choose minnows that are short lived that will not survive a winter here in the north east. They have a good life and reproduce better than any rabbits. When the temp drops they like the koi and gold fish will slow down stop moving but those who can't deal with the cold go to sleep and never awake.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my experiences with mosquitofish, they do fine alone.

A while back, we purchased 5 mosquitofish and 2 minnows from our nearest Petco.
We stored them in a tiny fish tank to use as feeders for our turtle.

The minnows died some time afterwards. (I wonder if the mosquitofish killed them?)
So we went back to Petco and purchased more minnows, most of which were much larger.
We upgraded the mosquitofish and minnows to a larger tank, since they were in an undersized tank before.
At this point, we were just keeping the fish for the fun of it.
But apparently, the minnows were carrying a disease, which wiped out all the fish except for one female mosquitofish.

As of now, we are keeping that female mosquitofish alone, as sort of a pet or something.
She's been seemingly content alone, although she might be more bold around a few others.

However, female mosquitofish can store sperm, so there's a risk that a single female may be pregnant from an interaction with a male.

I personally believe that a combination of mosquitofish and fathead minnows would work best for mosquito control.
Fathead minnows forage for larvae among the bottom detritus, and mosquitofish devour any that come for a breath at the surface.
But since mosquitofish are so aggressive, I'm studying the conditions required for the two species to coexist.

Supposedly, koi and goldfish are better at controlling mosquitoes than mosquitofish, but I doubt that.
Mosquitofish are extremely attentive predators of moving, wriggling prey. Carp are more like indiscriminate bottom cleaners.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had mosquito fish in my ponds as long as I can remember. Never had a problem with them. My wife thinks they are cute. The population goes up and down through the year. I expect their numbers to go down dramatically next year because I will be adding a couple dozen Ozark Longear Sunfish next year as a predator element to control the population when the goldfish and koi breed. We'll see how the mosquito fish do with sunfish in the pond.
I'd imagine that some sunfish would work well as a natural mosquitofish control measure.

Sunfish are usually too small to bother adult goldfish and koi, but would probably prey on mosquitofish of all ages, as well as the fry of koi and goldfish, which would add to the bioload of the pond.

But sometimes a permit is required to possess sunfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No one tell the authorities that we found a sunfish in our pond... didn't put it there, it just showed up.

I remember the late, great mind of Mayer Jordan posting once about mosquito fish - he said it really was a misnomer that they were so great at eating mosquito larvae. (Government programs encourage their use - anyone surprised that they don't work so great?) Goldfish will do just as well in a pond to control mosquitoes. AND once you have gambusia in your pond, good luck trying to get rid of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got some rosy red minnows. They are native to the southeast (at least according to everything I read.) I have a lot of water movement in the pond, but also a lot of shallow areas behind plants and among smaller rocks. I worried about those areas and mosquitoes! The minnows are voracious and get in everywhere. They seem to be doing a great job keeping the mosquitoes under control. They have multiplied but the minnow population seems stable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got some rosy red minnows. They are native to the southeast (at least according to everything I read.) I have a lot of water movement in the pond, but also a lot of shallow areas behind plants and among smaller rocks. I worried about those areas and mosquitoes! The minnows are voracious and get in everywhere. They seem to be doing a great job keeping the mosquitoes under control. They have multiplied but the minnow population seems stable.
Rosy red minnows are the same thing as fathead minnows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Instead of Mosquito Fish, maybe consider White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Instead of the wild coloration, I have the gold coloration White Cloud Mountain Minnows. They are much more visible and school around the plant shelves of my pond. They are hardy enough and cold water tolerant enough to stay year round in our pond in Northern Virginia, Zone 7.

1695341710248.png

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have nothing except shubunkins and everything else that's loves ponds. Zero mosquitoes in our 4 acres.
11 ponds, a lot fishless.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have nothing except shubunkins and everything else that's loves ponds. Zero mosquitoes in our 4 acres.
11 ponds, a lot fishless.
In our personal experiences of scooping out pond samples from natural ponds, mosquitoes seem to prefer fishless pools and tiny, shallow ponds that are formed by flooding from rainfall, especially in dense forests.
Mosquitoes eat us alive while we net out pond organisms, but their larvae aren't present in many of our pond samples, especially those in sunny localities. Mosquitoes seem to prefer shady puddles and pools dominated by decaying leaf litter.
They also bred in our kiddie pool, although backswimmers and diving beetles seem to deter them.

Most backyard ponds are the perfect size to attract breeding mosquitoes. But certain aspects may not be in their favor, causing them to breed elsewhere.

Never blame a pond for causing mosquito problems without first taking samples to test for the presence of larvae.
Sometimes, the mosquitoes biting you around a pond are not breeding in it at all, except for a few desperate ones.

Fish, backswimmers, dragonflies, full sun exposure, scarce cover for larvae underwater, scarce vegetation around the margins for adults to shelter in, and water movement seem to deter them to some extent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting subject- thought I'd add a couple thoughts.

It is possible to find fish that you didn't place in your pond- sometimes fish eggs get stuck to the feet of aquatic birds, which can act as a sort of fish delivery service.

Also, although goldfish fierce predators, they vacuum things into their mouths when they feed. So they probably just suck in the mosquito eggs, rather than actively pursuing the larvae.

I am in Western NY, and the Gambusia is forbidden. Which seems a little odd, since Gambusia holbrooki are native in Pennsylvania.

Ask a Question