Is there meaning behind your screen name?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm smiling, thinking of those now-grown-up kids thinking of their "Great Big Buddy" with the same fondness as you do "Charlie". What a terrific legacy from both of you.
Thank you ,
but Charlie had it all over me he was so well rounded with mechanics and electronics it would blow my mind what that guy sound make with wires copper coils and a few pieces of steel.
i just built boats and cars with the kids , ok a couple hand carved sling shots. they did love those ....
My dad got me into making silly things like an owl made of wood that had a paper clip to hold notes that you stuck on the refrigerator. or book ends that were a doxhound head on one end and tail on the other. I also use to go draw cartoons with Disney characters and others and i'd place a person in a scene who would buy the picture like they would have a broom chasing Tom Who was chasing Jerry.
Or shaking hands with Mickey Mouse , or in a hot air balloon with Goofey.
So i guess the pond is just the next phase whats next rocket to mars?

Last edited:

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! I love all these revelations!

My screen name is just my name: Y is short for Yael. And Shahar is my maiden name. But Hebrew names always have a meaning. Yael means "Ibex" and "Shahar" means dawn.

When I married His Honor the Chef, we took each other's names. I tacked on his last name and he took Shahar as a middle name. But since all my writing was done under my maiden name, that's what I still use online.

@GBBUDD, you should write a book about all your adventures and the people you've met along the way (though I'd hate to have to edit it! ;-) )

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Interesting subject! When my dad was an apprentice, it was customary to mark your tools with the first two letters of your given name, and the first two of your surname. He carried this practice to his other tools as well. In time, I got several of those tools, and since I was named after him, I used the name HARO as my screen name. And if you're wondering how I got HA out of 'John", well... When my family emigrated to Canada (I was 7 at the time), someone told us "Nobody uses the name Hans over here. You have to call yourself John". And John I have been for 67 years!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
long story and I'll try my best to draw you a picture.

I was in my early 20's working for a paving co. doing what ever I could just to put food on our table for my family . My grandad handed down a Englishman's overcoat that came down to my knees (I'm 6' tall) this coat weighed a ton. driving to work not realizing my coat tail was dragging out the door in the slushy snow, well when I opened the car door the slush ball literately pulled my behind out of the car and onto the ground. I was thinking I made it out of this embarrassing moment unseen... Not likely. The business across the street was demolition co, One of them said "look at that Beercan", They were all looking out the front window laughing there a** off at my unexpected adventure. well he was talking about my car but everyone else thought he was talking about me. A year latter I was working with these rough necks where everyone has a nick name from that point on I was known as Beercan. The 31 came from the same reason as @GBBUDD where all the tech guys gobbled up domain names like candy 31 was the next number in line.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! I love all these revelations!

My screen name is just my name: Y is short for Yael. And Shahar is my maiden name. But Hebrew names always have a meaning. Yael means "Ibex" and "Shahar" means dawn.

When I married His Honor the Chef, we took each other's names. I tacked on his last name and he took Shahar as a middle name. But since all my writing was done under my maiden name, that's what I still use online.

@GBBUDD, you should write a book about all your adventures and the people you've met along the way (though I'd hate to have to edit it! ;-) )
What are you trying to say? That while I have found some use for social media that i just don't take the time to review edit and keep one thought at a time. ok so i will be typing , wife starts talking , tv's on and the pups jump up on me and I forget where i was.
Yes there has been some adventures in some crazy places. But i did have to trade for no home life for 20 years. Lived in an 40 RV in some great locations like Williams burg Virginia , or Old Orchard Beach Maine. Then there's been Boone county West Virginia, or Johnstown Pennsylvania two places i would not recommend. Trust me all four left me some stories to tell, but lets just say some you could find on the Waltons. While the others i'd have to refer you to the producers of Jackass , as a second show that they produced called the Wonderful White's of West Virginia came all to close to adding me to one of their episodes. I was just beyond lucky that there was no camera crew around at the time.
Look it up on you tube you see what and why i was a bit perplexed. The Matriarch of the show /family decided to run me off the road as she came into my lane head on while driving. I didn't argue i drove into her lane as she passed me and hit a steel post went up on her passenger tires drivers side in the air and veered into a parking lot of a medical center and hit a parked van. I dialed 911 backed up and went to see if i could help as i thought someone just had a heart attack as it was only 4:00 in the afternoon and didn't think it was a dui.
As i walked up to the car the woman was bleeding from her head quite badly, as i asked if she was ok she gave me a blank stare. She looked to the passenger side of the car grabbed a bag of pretzels and started to eat them as she was bleeding into the bag.
When the cops arrived they asked what happened i pointed over to the car and he said ahhhhhh Mamie , Ok sir thanks for calling us you have a good day. i found this rather odd and then he explained he knew she was high as a kite if not higher and for me to have a good day.

As i was telling a buddy of mine what had happened along with a couple other things like our job site generator getting stolen and the replacement wire getting ripped out he told me about he WILD AND WONDERFUL WHITES OF WHEST VIRGINIA That i had to see it as he found it as disturbing as he did hilarious . well i started to watch it and not a minute into the show attached is MAMIE THE WOMAN WHO RAN ME OFF THE ROAD. she is at 1:06 in the video
Long story short do not venture to Boone County West Virginia....

SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN
EVERYONE DOESN'T GET TO MEAT A MOVIE STAR?????????????
i'M aMAZED I DON'T DRINK AT TIMES

I saw the most disturbing thing i will probably ever see in Boone county. Car tires buried half way in the ground and white paint RIP . .. YES TIRES USED AS HEAD STONES... and they were the lucky ones the colored cemetery just had a few rocks ontop of one another. but a hand painted sign letting you know where you were up in the woods

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was a brownie and then a girl scout , The girl scout leader was my best friends mom and we lived in a suburban area and our 7 acre farm was grandfathered in when we bought the farm and the scouts loved to learn about farming on a small scale .They learned about canning and freezing and make jelly and jam and also how plants grow . I still can to this day . We were a teaching farm . Schools used to bring children on bus trips to our small farm to learn and teach them you can do it on a small scale at home .I am just about out of my strawberry jam that I made from my small strawberry patch . It is just getting back to what it was before the epic ice storm that killed some of my plants

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
What are you trying to say? That while I have found some use for social media that i just don't take the time to review edit and keep one thought at a time. ok so i will be typing , wife starts talking , tv's on and the pups jump up on me and I forget where i was.
Yes there has been some adventures in some crazy places. But i did have to trade for no home life for 20 years. Lived in an 40 RV in some great locations like Williams burg Virginia , or Old Orchard Beach Maine. Then there's been Boone county West Virginia, or Johnstown Pennsylvania two places i would not recommend. Trust me all four left me some stories to tell, but lets just say some you could find on the Waltons. While the others i'd have to refer you to the producers of Jackass , as a second show that they produced called the Wonderful White's of West Virginia came all to close to adding me to one of their episodes. I was just beyond lucky that there was no camera crew around at the time.
See that's why I think we were lucky to grow up before cellphones! I'd never hear the end of it if some of my escapades when I was young and stupid(er) got caught on camera.
As i was telling a buddy of mine what had happened along with a couple other things like our job site generator getting stolen and the replacement wire getting ripped out he told me about he WILD AND WONDERFUL WHITES OF WHEST VIRGINIA That i had to see it as he found it as disturbing as he did hilarious . well i started to watch it and not a minute into the show attached is MAMIE THE WOMAN WHO RAN ME OFF THE ROAD. she is at 1:06 in the video
Long story short do not venture to Boone County West Virginia....

The video isn't available here, but I definitely believe you!

Not likely that I'll ever be tempted to venture into Boone County. I think my traveling days are over. I was supposed to fly to Canada in the spring of 2020, all expenses paid, to give a talk on counter-terrorism. But then the pandemic hit and the conference was cancelled. I wasn't all that sorry to stay home and work in the garden.

SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN
EVERYONE DOESN'T GET TO MEAT A MOVIE STAR?????????????
i'M aMAZED I DON'T DRINK AT TIMES

Ha! Well you have your pond to keep you sane. Much better than drinking (though I admit to enjoying a drink out by the pond in the evenings).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have lived in VA for over 20 years now and still called a northerner . I also hate when people say joisey it is New Jersey only transplanted New York Italians call it Joisey .I was born in Pa and still have my roots there and my parents house there . I was raised in NJ near the old Camp Kilmer sight across the road from the Camp Kilmer airport until we bought the farm in Franklin township NJ . Grandparents worked on and owned smiths farm in Cranberry NJ . apples , peachs and cows were raised there

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you ever hear of ROCKET BOYS There was a movie and a book wrote about them . I have visited all over Virginia . It is even on youtube . I came from coal country of Pa . That is why I went to visit coal country of VA and West VA

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you ever hear of ROCKET BOYS There was a movie and a book wrote about them . I have visited all over Virginia . It is even on youtube . I came from coal country of Pa . That is why I went to visit coal country of VA and West VA
boone county doesn't get any more coal country if you tried

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
been there and made friends there and we keep in touch all the time . The one thing I found that people there hate prople who come there to just gawk and take pics . i took my family album with me showing Centralia PA and that really caught thier attention . I was in several pics with cousins that I had restored . Showed them my grandmothers house there that they had to leave. Some before the ground caught on fire . My grandparents and my mom and dad and many of my Aunts and ncles had black lung . But they all lived to thier 70's or more . MOM MOM AND POP POP HAD 12 children . My dad came from a family of 10 children and were German (dads family , Dutch( Moms family ) . I was back to PA IN 2010 AND TOOK PICS OF MY GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE THERE AND MY UNCLE iVAN AND AUNT HELENS FARM OUTSIDE OF BENTON PA

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@YShahar Took a couple screenshots of @GBBUDD 's Mamie White, sounds like a real character! Says she's got 3 mine shafts up there.

22.png

23.png

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
@YShahar Took a couple screenshots of @GBBUDD 's Mamie White, sounds like a real character! Says she's got 3 mine shafts up there.

Ha! Yeah, that puts a picture to @GBBUDD's story of the lady being high as a kite. A real character all right!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
been there and made friends there and we keep in touch all the time . The one thing I found that people there hate prople who come there to just gawk and take pics . i took my family album with me showing Centralia PA and that really caught thier attention . I was in several pics with cousins that I had restored . Showed them my grandmothers house there that they had to leave. Some before the ground caught on fire . My grandparents and my mom and dad and many of my Aunts and ncles had black lung . But they all lived to thier 70's or more . MOM MOM AND POP POP HAD 12 children . My dad came from a family of 10 children and were German (dads family , Dutch( Moms family ) . I was back to PA IN 2010 AND TOOK PICS OF MY GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE THERE AND MY UNCLE iVAN AND AUNT HELENS FARM OUTSIDE OF BENTON PA
OH YEAH WE MET SOME GOOD PEOPLE THERE AS WELL ONE guy wat a helicopter mechanic super nice guy not a ugly bone in his body but no one reads those storieds but when you mention the tweeker/ meth head you met out in the middle of the woods in a coal m ine that was llike 8 miles across at least , who on a 40 degree day was wearing nothing but a thank god, tighty whities but was the happiest S.O.B . THE GOOD GUYS MAKE BORING STORIES THE TWEEKERS AND THE whites make stories you'll never forget

Ask a Question