Good afternoon

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
New to ponds and hope to learn. I have a small pond in sunny Glasgow.
Welcome, you’re amidst friends here, I originally came from Glasgow (Pollok) where I had two fish houses and then my ponds were sunken fibreglass baths (3). Now in Berwick upon tweed, I have my fish house and two raised wooden 175 gallon ponds I keep fancy goldfish, enjoy the pond way of life😉👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

bjorn_toulouse

more of a puddle than a pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just round the corner in Langside, Berwick on Tweed is nice, bit different from Pollock. I know this is a daft question but do you get your fish from the pet shop or from a garden pond shop?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just round the corner in Langside, Berwick on Tweed is nice, bit different from Pollock. I know this is a daft question but do you get your fish from the pet shop or from a garden pond shop?
Bjorn, I don’t purchase fish from pet shops, I do get the odd one from local garden centre. I mostly buy my breeding stock from other breeders, there are a load near you in Glasgow, I travel to Muscleburgh, Falkirk and Fife, but I do see adverts for sellers in Glasgow. Which type of fish you after? I could possibly give you a few people to try (breeders don’t charge a lot, and you know the stock will be perfect, I breed Ryukins, Ranchu and Tossacins.

bjorn_toulouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordinary goldfish, nothing special. One of the reasons we planned a pond was because my 18 year old goldfish was a bit too big for its bowl. As fate would have it, it died when I was half way through the build. Originally I was going to put minnows in it but it was slim pickings at Queens Park

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Careful with minnows if there's no creditors you will have thousands of minnows in no time ..... as me how I know. Only 8 survived the winter the biggest and here we are again with a few hundred minnows now but come September I'll have thousands ahain

bjorn_toulouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Careful with minnows if there's no creditors you will have thousands of minnows in no time ..... as me how I know. Only 8 survived the winter the biggest and here we are again with a few hundred minnows now but come September I'll have thousands ahain
Fair enough thanks for the advice, goldfish it is then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is the fish out in my pond at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpeg
    IMG_0979.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2975.jpeg
    IMG_2975.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2649.jpeg
    IMG_2649.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 7

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What plants do you put in your ponds?
Parrots feather is nice and comes in a few different types. You can plant in a big pot to keep it in one spot or tuck between side rocks w/roots in water. It will float across the water.
I have this batch in a big pot:
IMG_9774.JPG

And some of this in rocks and a pot:

IMG_7589.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fair enough thanks for the advice, goldfish it is then.
Oh don't misunderstand if you have a healthy pond. And feed even your gold fish well they too can multiply quickly. After you see a build up of foam on the water for the next couple weeks light feedings only. The adults will eat the eggs

bjorn_toulouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Bjorn I can give you some Lilly tubers, and perhaps some bullrush tubers, what’s the dimensions of your pond? Are you on messenger? (e-mail address removed).
Hi Michael my pond is only about 1m by 1m and 80cm at its deepest. It has a 3 in one filter feeding a "bog filter" ( a huge plant pot filled with gravel and plants) I would gratefully take anything.

Ask a Question