Female KOI DIED

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sorry. Sadly it's not unprecedented for koi to spawn themselves to death. :( It does get pretty rough at times. We almost lost one of our largest & oldest females this year because the boys, in their "enthusiasm", shoved her into the skimmer where she got stuck in the basket (and she really didn't fit well - she's almost 18" long) Fortunately we found her in time to save her and, other than what will be some pretty epic scars all down her back & sides, I think she'll make it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It can be a rough process for the females unfortunately. Why? Who knows. It's nature. Maybe it's the balance of males to females in a pond. Hard to say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As with any domestic animals, I think it’s our responsibility to keep them safe. I’m not a koi breeder, but find it hard to believe there’s nothing that can be done. Separate them, rehome aggressive males or at risk females, provide more space? I have rehomed two aggressive male goldfish and the others breed without harming each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lose one or more female goldfish every year to spawning incidents. They get beaten up on rocks at the edges of the pond or get trapped in compromised positions like one did last year. It got stuck in a plant and ended up with it's head completely above the water, almost standing on its tail.

I've come to realize that fish swim forward easily, but have no decent back up gear. I now try to check my larger plants after every spawning for stuck fish, but I'm probably not as diligent as I should be.

I think the only way to be sure things like that don't happen is to have single sex ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I do think it best to not have a high male to female ratio. I've read articles that suggest no more than a two to one ratio.....makes sense.

When I had koi I had two females and two males and I still worried about the rocks at the edge of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As with any domestic animals, I think it’s our responsibility to keep them safe. I’m not a koi breeder, but find it hard to believe there’s nothing that can be done. Separate them, rehome aggressive males or at risk females, provide more space? I have rehomed two aggressive male goldfish and the others breed without harming each other.
In my incident this year, I guess the only thing I could have done is block the skimmer opening with some sort of barrier that would still let the water through. It was a really freak accident, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In my incident this year, I guess the only thing I could have done is block the skimmer opening with some sort of barrier that would still let the water through. It was a really freak accident, though.
I made a simple skimmer guard with a piece of one inch PVC pipe tightly wedged in the weir. I've also seen many other DIY skimmer guards. My first year with my chagrin, I found her in the skimmer where she released her eggs.....luckily she was't too big yet....but it scared me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish used to swim into the skimmer, so I used a piece of plastic coated metal shelving to keep them out. If it is put in horizontally, it still lets in the water, as well as leaves and other debris.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. I'll have to look into doing something like that next Spring. I seriously can't even figure out how she got in there! She is a large fish who we've had for years, but this is the first time she's joined in the spawn (we actually didn't even know she was a she until this year! Jacques Cousteau is now 'Jacques-lyn')

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome birdy.gif
@Jfallaw8554

Sorry this happened. I like the idea of more females and less males. How big is your pond and do you have hiding spots for females to rest? How many males, females? You could create an attached pond area where you could take out or herd the males or the females and put them in there at least during breeding season. Lots of work tho but peace of mind for you and the females anyways. Photo's of the pond would be nice :happy:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It seems to me the females need to be allowed to spawn though. I don't known if there's a point at which you can say it's enough or it's done or whatever... but without the chase, won't they risk getting egg bound?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I worry about that too, females getting egg bound. I've seen where many koi keepers keep them separate and say the eggs are reabsorbed into their bodies, but obviously we wouldn't have egg bound females if this was always the case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It seems to me the females need to be allowed to spawn though. I don't known if there's a point at which you can say it's enough or it's done or whatever... but without the chase, won't they risk getting egg bound?
That's what I was wondering..... In a 'single sex environment' (ie - pond) do the females not form eggs? and if they do.... is there any sort of intervention on the humans' part necessary?

Ask a Question