Drawing for 16x16 pond

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Seperate pvc for the two drains, got it. dodad suggested 3 inches vs. 2, and try for aerated if possible?

Dumb question, but if I am trying to do a retaining wall the correct way and USE the 3-4 feet of dirt I dig out I am digging out to build up the waterfall and a bit of a boarder...

I should use bricks all around & not just use the fence correct??? :lol: See in my poor drawing below I have two bricks on the upper L and two on the lower closing off the Pond & the fence? I want to fill that area to the Fence with Dirt and then the back corner even HIGHER to give the falls a trickling down effect...

Thoughts?

Pond3d-vi.png

Reaction score
Agreed. 2" pipe is too small for a BD and you're just asking for a clog with that size. 3" pipe is big enough to pass a frog or some larger debris.

I don't think I'm clear on your explanation of the "fence" and where the dirt is going. Are you saying you are filling your pit where the stock tanks and bridge ends with dirt?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Yes.
In the picture above where the blue water is...I've staked out 16x16 with 8 foot wide legs... I'm going to dig that 4 feet deep if possible with a skid steer.

I'd like to take that dirt and raise the area for water fall + create a bit of a retaining wall between the Pond and a near by fence.

In the pic below, see the light brown/ orange rectangles, that is a fence that is in place, ending my property line.
Question is, can I build the retaining wall 100% against that fence or wouldn't you suggest I frame it out with blocks like the Google Scetch drawing?

sorry my drawing is so poor. :lol:

Pond1-vi.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Unless the fence is concrete bock i would keep the dirt off of it
If you could work in a passageway to the back of your filter area when you get a little older you will appreciate it a lot

Reaction score
i agree with DrC. You need to back that with something that can handle the weight of a load of dirt. You need some kinda barrier in between too. Dirt is heavy, and during a rain storm it will want to move forward and that fence is liable not to be able to hold the weight.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Sounds good guys, I will plan for the retaining wall area & use bricks for support.

I'd like to include a passage way to get back behind waterfall and filtration tanks for sure... It may be on a bit of an incline, but maybe some stones for steping & traction.

Thanks guys, Julie just confirmed I have nothing to worry about back there & I have power trenched already... :fish:

Shane

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Dirt and moisture will make quick work of wood.

Thanks guys, I will frame out the retaining wall.
Say, how much dirt will I have if I dig 3 connected 8x8 areas 4 feet deep?

3 8x8's is same measurement as 16x16x8 foot ends to each leg.

Is the Volume 768 square foot? :lol:

Thank you,
Shane

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
DrDave said:
At 30 Lbs per cu ft, calaculate the cubic feet. your number is stated as square feet.

I'm unclear how to calculate that, can anyone help?

Say just one of the sections 8x8x4 feet, how much dirt will that be?

Thank you,

Shane

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You have 256 cu ft and that would weigh approximatley 7680 lbs.
This is about 9 1/2 cu yards.
Does this help?

Ask a Question