Drawing for 16x16 pond

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
So I may make some filtration bays out of 150g horse water troff's from Farm and Fleet, will that work? Then a drain at each side of the L and a skimmer near the back.

I am debating the 2 rows of concrete bricks, what do you suggest?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
IMG02698201006171822-vi.jpg

Couple more questions after clearing away the tree's and weeds yesterday. :fish:

I'd like to do a skimmer, is there a rule of thumb where to put it?
Opposite side of waterfalls Ok?

Do you suggest two 2 or 3 inch drains at each of the L's?
I'll make filtration bays out of two 150gallon horse troff's from farm and fleet, should be Ok?

A friend is brining over a skid steer after Julie comes to check before I dig, should I go down 3 or 4 feet? I live south of Chicago so need the fish to be ok in Winter.
After I dig, I'd like to do 2 rows of cement blocks and a limestone 1" top.

Reaction score
the depth you dig will depend on the size of liner you have bought. but the deeper the better. i would think 4 ft would be better with your cold winters

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I was thinking of digging 3 or 4 feet down and then the hight of 2 concrete bricks will be another 12 inches...

I haven't bought a liner yet, I was just thinking to go lower to guarentee the fish are safe during cold winter.
What is the rule bottom 36 inches won't freeze? :bowdown:

Reaction score
the frost line varies by location but I bet 4 ft down would be enough. 3 ft and i would be worried a little. i would go 4ft down and 1ft up for a total depth of 5 ft. that makes for a deep pond.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
So I'll try to dig 4 feet down + the two bricks totaling close to 5 feet.

I started measuring and putting steaks in the ground today. I'd like to dig 16x16 then 8 foot ends x 4 feet deep.

I'd like to use the dirt as a bit of a retaining wall + to build the waterfall up so the falls trickle down hill...

I have power trenched out there, I'd like some LED's or lights around the pond.

- 2 150 gallon water troughs for filtration.
- Single 7000gph Sequence pump
- 2" drain on the left and right.
- Skimmer on the left leg.

What size liner will I need? 22x22 and use the extra for the falls?

Pond1-vi.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Whatever number you come up with, add 1 foor to every side for a safety margin and remember, the liner never sits exactly where you planned it after the water weighs it down.

Reaction score
Now, you're talking Shane! This looks better and will make it easier to maintain things. I was unable to put my skimmer directly across from my waterfall based on my design. Similarly to you, my waterfall was on the back wall and I didn't want my skimmer on the front apron (it's a biggun!). I put it on the left side as well based on prevailing winds. I just knew that the right side would always need a little skimming with a small net every once in a while while I feed. No big deal! And even if I don't skim, the leaf will sink and go into the bottom drain anyway.

Nice job on a redesign.

Reaction score
Based on your pond size, I would do two 3" drains, one on each leg. Even better if you do aerated drains. Unfortunately, you can't find 3" drains that are aerated on the market and they have to be DIY'ed. They sell non-aerated 3" drains or aerated 4" drains.

I've physically seen the ones that Squidhead has made and they are perfect. Not sure if you want to connect with him and see if he can make you a pair. I'm sure he'd be willing to do so. If you look at his pond build thread, you can see the drains he's made.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Would you suggest the 3 inch pipe comes in as 1 piece and then T's off to each L?

Or seperate piping from each L to the filtration/ behind the waterfall?

Thanks,
Shane

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Is there a difference with two seperate drain pipes going out to filtration or can I T them together somewhere in between and bring 1 out?
Pond3-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Shane

Reaction score
You want to completely separate BD lines so you can regulate flow to each individually. If you tee them together, water will find the path of least resistence and systematically pick the one that has the easiest flow path. Each drain should have it's own ball valve to regulate flow.

Also, if going with aerated drains, do not tee in the air pipes either, they should be separate and each have their own ball valve to control air flow, too.

In a pond, try to keep everything as separate and compartmentalized as possible.

Ask a Question