addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oil pans, they have that slight angle top bigger than bottom, slick side, lift right out. I do get pop jumpers, those are hard to get to the edge to groom. Took two of us to tow them in last fall. A few of the pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Alright. Still no fish in here. I think I psyched myself out with the city/permits and don't want to add life until I know I'm in the clear.

I ended up pulling a permit for the pond almost a year ago after deciding that, long-term, it was better to have one since the building dept. keeps aerial photos of their jurisdiction. Don't think they do anything with them now, but probably just a matter of time before they come knocking on doors with large projects not tied to a permit. Rules tend to only get stricter, so better to meet them now while I do than risk not meeting them later and getting hit with an inspection.

Permit application was approved, but requires a pre-construction erosion control inspection. LOL That was not mentioned by the city planner who initially told me in 2020 to dig away and that I only needed to pull a permit if I went over 4'.

Getting ready to call for final and a bit nervous about how that's going to go since I've done a boatload of other work around here—installed an irrigation system, outdoor sub-panel, hot tub, installed new windows and re-sized patio door header. Also realized our deck (built before we owned the house) has no permit on record. So, this could get interesting. In my defense, it was basically impossible to get ahold of anyone to figure things out for almost 2 years.

Right now, the plan is to convert the hot tub to 120v (no permit required), make all the other work as inconspicuous as possible, explain to the inspector that I proceeded with work in good faith per their communication, and hope he doesn't notice or care about the deck.

My permit office is pretty laid back and very DIY friendly. I could see this pissing them off though since there's so much.

You know, I think tree frogs are protected here. If the pond is full of them, they have to let me keep it, right?

Do you think building inspectors read GPF?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had to get a permit for a pole barn . Frederick is beyond anal about permits. When they came out. No comment about the ponds, the added deck, the sun room built out on the deck. Etc.

Whew! I was beyond worried. It will come up when the house is sold. A lot more Sq footage. Not sold by me hopefully lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Alright. Still no fish in here. I think I psyched myself out with the city/permits and don't want to add life until I know I'm in the clear.

I ended up pulling a permit for the pond almost a year ago after deciding that, long-term, it was better to have one since the building dept. keeps aerial photos of their jurisdiction. Don't think they do anything with them now, but probably just a matter of time before they come knocking on doors with large projects not tied to a permit. Rules tend to only get stricter, so better to meet them now while I do than risk not meeting them later and getting hit with an inspection.

Permit application was approved, but requires a pre-construction erosion control inspection. LOL That was not mentioned by the city planner who initially told me in 2020 to dig away and that I only needed to pull a permit if I went over 4'.

Getting ready to call for final and a bit nervous about how that's going to go since I've done a boatload of other work around here—installed an irrigation system, outdoor sub-panel, hot tub, installed new windows and re-sized patio door header. Also realized our deck (built before we owned the house) has no permit on record. So, this could get interesting. In my defense, it was basically impossible to get ahold of anyone to figure things out for almost 2 years.

Right now, the plan is to convert the hot tub to 120v (no permit required), make all the other work as inconspicuous as possible, explain to the inspector that I proceeded with work in good faith per their communication, and hope he doesn't notice or care about the deck.

My permit office is pretty laid back and very DIY friendly. I could see this pissing them off though since there's so much.

You know, I think tree frogs are protected here. If the pond is full of them, they have to let me keep it, right?

Do you think building inspectors read GPF?
Sorry to hear you have to go through all that. I do have a lot of experience with permit issues since real estate is my practice area as much as I joke hear about litigation, real estate closings are what I have done for thirty years. Generally speaking inspectors do not go looking for problems, they do not randomly knock on doors and ask to look at your house. If they happen to notice work being done then they may ask questions. When they come for a specific inspection they do not start looking at other areas, it would just be too much to review an entire house.
Where you have the biggest issue with permits is when you go to sell the house. Many potential buyers check to see if there are open permits, or a home inspector will tell a buyer to check to see if a permit has been pulled for a renovation the inspector notes. That is when the can of worms really opens up. It is very common for permits to be pulled but the final sign off is not done by the building inspector. Generally speaking that is fairly easy to get done, of course assuming the work was done properly. Last week I had a contract held up because my client, the seller, had open permits for solar panels. He never went through with the project, but the permit showed as being open and the buyer was being a pain about it (because he went through his own problem of open permits when he sold his house). So my client had to go through hoops to close it out. Inspectors will be tough when called for work that was done without a permit, especially if a sale is coming up. They do not want the liability of missing something if the new homeowner finds something wrong.
The most common problem is finished basements. People constantly finish basements themselves without pulling a permit. They go to sell the house and then all heck breaks loose. Especially if electrical and plumbing have been done, inspectors will be tough on that, I have seen them require people to open up the walls to have the wiring and plumbing inspected.
So you may have short term pain here, but save yourself the hassle when you go to sell the house. The problem with fixing these issues when you sell is that you do not have much time so it can make deals fall apart. Probably more than what you wanted to hear, but I am a lawyer and required to be long winded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would loose the sale and enjoy telling the buyer to take a long walk on a short pier......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would loose the sale and enjoy telling the buyer to take a long walk on a short pier......
Yep, right there with you. My house is 160-170 years old, so I just roll my eyes when I see people bring up these issues, my house is just one big violation and yet somehow has survived all these years. Last week was just ridiculous with the permit that was never used for the solar panels. Look at the roof, no panels, so why worry there is an open permit. It is why I said last week I need my quiet time every morning feeding the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should add though, if you do work without a permit you may have insurance issues if for some reason you have to make a claim. That is why the finished basement permit issue always becomes a problem. An insurance company could deny the claim if the work was not done according to code, ie they always look for a reason to deny a claim.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should add though, if you do work without a permit you may have insurance issues if for some reason you have to make a claim. That is why the finished basement permit issue always becomes a problem. An insurance company could deny the claim if the work was not done according to code, ie they always look for a reason to deny a claim.
as a builder i have never seen sheet rock and studs be an issue with a basement finishing they have NO proof it wasn't done from the builder unless your a fool and let the tax accessor into your home. again that response is long walk short pier. even a bath is next to impossible to prove. but add gas for a stove and make it an inlaw apt and many town will fight back.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We've had them come to our house, those tax people, and we won't let them in anywhere! We just tell them what they want to hear and let them be on their way. So far so good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as a builder i have never seen sheet rock and studs be an issue with a basement finishing they have NO proof it wasn't done from the builder unless your a fool and let the tax accessor into your home. again that response is long walk short pier. even a bath is next to impossible to prove. but add gas for a stove and make it an inlaw apt and many town will fight back.
There is a building inspector in a town about 45 minutes from me who is crazy. He actually looks at house listings to see if they mention finished basements and then he checks his records to see if they pulled a permit or if it was original. That is insane. If the house was built in the last twenty years it is pretty easy for them to check if the finished basement was original or added after the CO was issued. Generally, they are ok with walls going up in the basement, it is when you add a bathroom down there they get upset.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when i see a town wants a permit for wall paper, or such stupid items its surely nothing more than an additional tax

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had a job years ago a church got money together to put an addition onto a 600 sf home that already had 4 boys and they were expecting again . triplets' you can't make this up . well i did the job for cost , i didn't make a Nickle but it seems the building inspectors son also bid on the job and when he lost the job dad made life hell for me with inspections. so much for doing a good deed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sucks.

IMHO, it won't be my issue. I hope to stay here until bye bye time. Need to no old fart homes will allow 10 pups.

Estate issue! frederick makes you pay back taxes for the additional Sq footage. When was it done, no clue, old can't recall, who did, no clue, etc.

We did not have an inspection when we bought. Already had a finished basement. BUT the added sun room and room above garage, different story. Well built but! My excuse hubby took care of that stuff, he won't be able to tell them anything.

Ask a Question