Cheapest way to clear algae?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mabe frogs can take the place of fish? There are plenty of frogs in the bog.
I CAN'T SAY NO TO THAT I HAVE A COUPLE BULL FROGS I HAVE SEEN WITH FEATHERS HANGING OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS. damn caps . and ia have found the waste from them ,damn amazing when you think about it , and i had a chipmunks hanging around and they are gone so. They certainly can fill a bio waste need

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use those "pond enzymes" you can buy from a pond store - and parrot feather for the algae (which floats & winters in the state where I live (DE) and every now & then use Pond Shock or something like that from The Pond Guy. My pond is cool & harbors a dozen goldfish, 1 turtle & 2 frogs. Beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use AlgaeFix. A gallon is expensive but comaptible with fish and plants. I add it to my 1900 gal pond every week. I also use barley. I put it in big hamster plastic balls and drop in the pond. Decaying barley helps a lot with algae. You can put it in a mesh bag.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! We have an old garden pond that is green with slimy algae all summer. I posted about it years ago when we had thoughts of rehabbing it — you can check out photos in my old posts if you wish — but now we just want to get rid of the algae to clear the water and MAYBE plant a few lily pad flowers.We use mosquito dunks to control bugs. What’s the cheapest way to do this? Thanks!!
For clearing out algae on a budget, you might want to try using barley straw. It’s a natural way to control algae and pretty affordable. Just toss a small bale into the pond, and as it breaks down, it helps prevent algae growth. Another option is to add some aquatic plants like lilies, which can shade the water and reduce algae by competing for nutrients.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome554.gif
@jonpeterson
Do you have a pond to show us of your own? Would love to hear about it and see some photo's. Perhaps you could start a thread of your own to introduce yourself?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Algae is result of water imbalance. A) Check your PH levels with a kit b) clean filters regularly c) correct with bacteria that feed on algae and d) empty & clean pond when to much algae or when needed. If works for our 4500g pond with fish, plants & waterfall. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
UV lights is the best way to control algae. Needs to be tied into your filtration system if possible. Works great for me .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! We have an old garden pond that is green with slimy algae all summer. I posted about it years ago when we had thoughts of rehabbing it — you can check out photos in my old posts if you wish — but now we just want to get rid of the algae to clear the water and MAYBE plant a few lily pad flowers.We use mosquito dunks to control bugs. What’s the cheapest way to do this? Thanks!!
If you are getting no use from the pond have you thought about filling it in with earth.

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Please be kind, first post,
i have recently constructed a couple of fairly basic, but soothing ponds just outside the 2 back doors that lead to the terraces
having re read the posts about " algae " im hoping some kind soul will nail it for me
there has been a build up of the green stuff, not everywhere but its growing
even the little coarse sand mini beaches are going green
there are 3 bubblers and a decent sized 4 outlet water fountain, so there is a little water movement and i clean / skim the surface for bugs etc twice a day, so there is wayer movement as well
i have used chlorine which really clears up the water, but im art a loss to know how to eliminate / reduce the green on the rocks , pebbles etc
there are no fish , or other living things in the ponds, and the plants Do Not come in contact with the water.
i live in a tropical humid climate so that may also be a factor.

Help .... Please...

Attachments

• P1006916.JPG
    P1006916.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1006915.JPG
    P1006915.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 15
  • P1006914.JPG
    P1006914.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 15

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Please be kind, first post,
i have recently constructed a couple of fairly basic, but soothing ponds just outside the 2 back doors that lead to the terraces
having re read the posts about " algae " im hoping some kind soul will nail it for me
there has been a build up of the green stuff, not everywhere but its growing
even the little coarse sand mini beaches are going green
there are 3 bubblers and a decent sized 4 outlet water fountain, so there is a little water movement and i clean / skim the surface for bugs etc twice a day, so there is wayer movement as well
i have used chlorine which really clears up the water, but im art a loss to know how to eliminate / reduce the green on the rocks , pebbles etc
there are no fish , or other living things in the ponds, and the plants Do Not come in contact with the water.
i live in a tropical humid climate so that may also be a factor.

Help .... Please...
So, going on the assumption that you want something that looks like a pool, maintaining the chlorine levels in the pond is a way to eliminate algae. The issue is going to be trying to maintain the aesthetic beauty of the pond for you ie without algae on anything isnt going to work, if you don’t use chemicals of some sort and keep those levels up, or drain it down occasionally and power wash the rocks off.

All ponds and water systems for that matter even natural ones have algae growth, healthy ones have that peach fuzz on everything.

The above advice comes with the caveat that you aren’t going to put any life forms in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My UV clarifier works perfectly to keep my water crystal clear and zero algae. I have both the Tetra 5v and I also bought an all in one pond filter that has a 9v built into it. My pond is small (300 gallons). My pond pump is for up to 900 gallons, but I wanted to make sure my pond was clear for my fish and plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lillies & the Lilly pads help w the sun, which is what causes algae. (I have the same problem). I been using
i have the same issue. The lillies help, they block the sun which is what causes the algae. I’ve also started using algae Dsolve. It’s on Amazon. It helps a lot but them the dead algae is floating around so I also got a filtering pond pump. It works great & you just pull the “out” hose out once a day outside of the pond then pull up on a handle that compresses the filters inside the pump & all the green gunk comes out. You do that a couple times, takes about 5 minutes, the just put the hose back in the pond. It circulates the water thru the pump & back out & there’s a UV light inside a glass tube in the pump that the water passes by which kills algae too. It’s helped a lot. I got my pump/filter from “the pond guy” online. It’s was around $150.00 I think & worth every penny. Easy to set up & use. Hope that helps. Also it’s nice cuz if you just leave that Jose out it will pump your pond almost dry & u can hose the stuff off the sides & rocks, the just put the hose back in after u clean the filters & fill it back up. I do that every couple weeks. Goldfish & koi can handle being almost out of water for 10 minutes when it sucks most of the water out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use AlgaeFix. A gallon is expensive but comaptible with fish and plants. I add it to my 1900 gal pond every week. I also use barley. I put it in big hamster plastic balls and drop in the pond. Decaying barley helps a lot with algae. You can put it in a mesh bag.
What! I need to know more about this!! Barley
Kills algae??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lillies & the Lilly pads help w the sun, which is what causes algae. (I have the same problem). I been using

i have the same issue. The lillies help, they block the sun which is what causes the algae. I’ve also started using algae Dsolve. It’s on Amazon. It helps a lot but them the dead algae is floating around so I also got a filtering pond pump. It works great & you just pull the “out” hose out once a day outside of the pond then pull up on a handle that compresses the filters inside the pump & all the green gunk comes out. You do that a couple times, takes about 5 minutes, the just put the hose back in the pond. It circulates the water thru the pump & back out & there’s a UV light inside a glass tube in the pump that the water passes by which kills algae too. It’s helped a lot. I got my pump/filter from “the pond guy” online. It’s was around $150.00 I think & worth every penny. Easy to set up & use. Hope that helps. Also it’s nice cuz if you just leave that Jose out it will pump your pond almost dry & u can hose the stuff off the sides & rocks, the just put the hose back in after u clean the filters & fill it back up. I do that every couple weeks. Goldfish & koi can handle being almost out of water for 10 minutes when it sucks most of the water out.

Ask a Question