j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
On a side note - is anyone having trouble typing on this forum? I'm having issues with whole sentences disappearing or text writing over other text. Very bizarre.
All's well here w/typing for me.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No problems here. I also use a 100% pea gravel bog after seeing posts on here. Had it for years, had to raise sides but it keeps my pond crystal clear. No algae!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They were cut using a power miter saw and are the width of the blade.
For those reading this down the road .
@addy1 is an anomaly... haha, sorry Addy! - although her bog does function beautifully, you have to remember it is huge. It runs the length of her pond and is deeper than 12 inches. And she doesn't just have "a pond" - she has a series of connected ponds that all function as a whole.

Can you use only pea gravel? Sure. But so much has advanced in the world of garden ponds. The idea that your bog can benefit from void space is relatively new for example.

I'm familiar with the site you referenced - they have not updated that information in many many years. I first read it 14 years ago and it's the same now as it was then. Is the method still good? Sure. Is it the best? Maybe not. One thing we have all learned who hang around here for a long time - there are many many ways to skin the cat. Lots of things can work, but you have to consider all the variables. Here are two:

Where's your pump located?

Do you pre filter your water?
Generally most blades today ate what are called thin kerf. And those are less than 1/8" I double cut my slits when using a thin kerf blade.

I totaly disagree with slits every inch this pipe will be very easy to snap. Cuts every 6 inches is more than enough provided you have enough overall length to provide enough slits for the flow you have.

But that is another factor I did not see in the Nelson write up. They just give a blanket statement of 1 to 2 times turn over the volume of the pond . In my case 16000 gallons I do not want to put that much flow through a bog that's way too much flow the water will fly past the bacteria. This will not allow enough time for nature to do it's thing. My bog is closer to 40% and I only push 5000 to 6000 through the bog. And another 1500 through a small pea stone bog.

But I have to agree with Lisa. There are realy only guidelines not you must follow this. There's been every walk of design change you could imagine bur the same basic principles seem to br the key.

I also do not prescribe to every word Nelson states particularly only 3/8 and only 12 inches /

Ask a Question