Water lilies and fertilizer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
My water lilies are doing quite nice right now, almost reached the surface. I bought one of those pond baskets a while ago, filled it up with garden clay soil. But what kind of fertilizer do I need to use? I don't have the specialized water lily ones where I live, not sure if Osmocote slow release is okay.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just dump it in under the litter, about 1/4 cup or so

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A lot of people use 100% clay kitty litter w/no additives as soil media for all plants in the pond. It's cleaner than dirt and if it spills it won't hurt your water quality. Fish like to dig in the pots so I put flat rocks around the plants in the pot to stop some of the digging. I have used the Osmocote w/good results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
A lot of people use 100% clay kitty litter w/no additives as soil media for all plants in the pond. It's cleaner than dirt and if it spills it won't hurt your water quality. Fish like to dig in the pots so I put flat rocks around the plants in the pot to stop some of the digging. I have used the Osmocote w/good results.
I haven't had issues with koi digging, i did put some gravel there that they cant move. The other day I planted a hart tongue fern, removed some of the soil and the koi i assume were nosing around and they moved it.

I put the pond basket with soil i think a week after the pond was built which was back in october, haven't had any kind of soil being disturbed so far. Pond is in dappled shade in summer so i imagine fertilizers will come in handy even though i most likely wont get a flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used to put about 1/4 cup Osmocote in the pot when I groomed the lilies. Last summer I also added the fertilizer spikes made by Laguna and had blooms galore !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I wonder if anyone here has experience growing them in dappled shade under a tree. Of course I don't expect blooms. So far its spring and trees havent leafed out, a lot of growth on lilies and one is reaching the surface. In summer I think that might change. I guess in shade you need more lilies if you want coverage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if anyone here has experience growing them in dappled shade under a tree. Of course I don't expect blooms. So far its spring and trees havent leafed out, a lot of growth on lilies and one is reaching the surface. In summer I think that might change. I guess in shade you need more lilies if you want coverage.
Mine are in dappled light under a big oak and a giant black gum. I do get blooms!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to pond gardening. I would like to know what brand of kitty litter should be used for water lilies since there seems to be so many different kinds. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hiya. I got this one based on recommendations here. 3 years now and I can't fault it yet :)

Good luck!
1712507758223.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am new to pond gardening. I would like to know what brand of kitty litter should be used for water lilies since there seems to be so many different kinds. Thanks.
Many places sell the right kind. I get mine at Walmart in a big 25 lb bag.
I haven't bought any in a few years so color of bag may have changed. No fragrance added etc.

Special Kitty cat litter.png
Kitty litter.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a dwarf water lily in a very small (40gal) patio pond. There's a fence cover that blocks sunlight, and it's underneath a potted large esperansa tree. It get's probably 2-3hrs of direct sunlight lol. It grew a good amount of pads that were beautiful. The flowers didn't come though I'm sure partly because of the sun, but mostly the esperansa above it was dropping in leaves that had leafspot, which transfered to the lily pads really bad. Each pad had a lifespan of about 1 month :(

But! it's def possible and I think looked not bad for what I was working with haha.
IMG_7856.jpg

(sorry for the nighttime pic, I work long hours and don't get to see the pond in the sun often)

And a couple months later when the leafspot started taking hold...
IMG_7895.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a dwarf water lily in a very small (40gal) patio pond. There's a fence cover that blocks sunlight, and it's underneath a potted large esperansa tree. It get's probably 2-3hrs of direct sunlight lol. It grew a good amount of pads that were beautiful. The flowers didn't come though I'm sure partly because of the sun, but mostly the esperansa above it was dropping in leaves that had leafspot, which transfered to the lily pads really bad. Each pad had a lifespan of about 1 month :(

But! it's def possible and I think looked not bad for what I was working with haha.
View attachment 162600
(sorry for the nighttime pic, I work long hours and don't get to see the pond in the sun often)

And a couple months later when the leafspot started taking hold...
View attachment 162601
Pretty little water feature! Just FYI - those look like normally aging water lily pads to me. They don't last forever - they're always cycling through fading pads being replaced with fresh, new ones. I get into my pond & clip off the "ugly" fading ones every week or two during the growing season.

Ask a Question