Pool pond with bog in the middle???

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12' diameter 3'-3" deep (half above and half below grade) pool pond with plants and gravel in the middle and lots of minnows, chubs, snails, crayfish, clams...anything the grand kids can catch. I keep 2' clear around the edge and the pump makes current that goes round and round but it stays calm in the middle. I already have some gravel in the middle and plants are on top in pots. I am considering sending some of the pump flow to a bog grid in the center on the bottom and taking plants out of the pots and planting them in the middle to make an in pond bog. Good idea or bad?

PXL_20230720_151436448.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm… I think to be successful wkrn this idea you’d need a container of some type for the gravel and matrix.
I swept 1/2 yard of pee gravel to the middle. I want a 2' wide clean bottom around outside so I can see the fish (about 1,000 minnow size fish) against the blue and white bottom pool liner. Many are continually swimming with the current like in a stream or hanging out in the middle out of the whirlpool created by the pump discharge. It is fun to watch! My problem is string algae coating the bottom and dead bloom algae killed by a UV light coat the liner too much. I only turn on the UV when water starts to turn green but then it turns brackish.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm… I think to be successful wkrn this idea you’d need a container of some type for the gravel and matrix.
Agree, the gravel bed needs to be contained. Your basic idea for the bog is OK — @addy1 has a post somewhere that shows different configurations for a bog. But if you just pile the gravel up in the middle (or anywhere in the pond), it’s going to want to self- level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What your thinking won't hurt anything but it won't be a wetland filter either. I have an area in the pond that's more of a peninsula that's only 6 inches deep or so. Where I have pitcher plants growing. They will act like a bogand absorb nutrients from. The water but only moderately.

Lilies uncontaminated can become fierce and hard to remove it theycan grow into folds in the liner or even deep gravel.
I'd suggest putting the grave to within a foot of where you want the base to be place your lily in the area after transplanting then bury the pot in the remains gravel . Best of both worlds

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree, the gravel bed needs to be contained. Your basic idea for the bog is OK — @addy1 has a post somewhere that shows different configurations for a bog. But if you just pile the gravel up in the middle (or anywhere in the pond), it’s going to want to self- level.

Here is the link

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
YouTube floating wetlands, you could diy one without all the gravel, but get the filtering benefits of the plants. Also wouldn’t use up space for water, with gravel. Have seen a variety of these from milk crates turned upside down stuffed with empty gallon jugs zip tied together or 5 gallon jugs, drain pipe stuffed with bottles and plastic hardware cloth zip tied on

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pump points up at an angle near the surface to splash and sink any surface debris as well as create a whirlpool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pump points up at an angle near the surface to splash and sink any surface debris as well as create a whirlpool.
why would you want to sink surface debris that's azz backwards you should want to remove debris thats floating before it has a chance to sink

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about this?
At 3' deep x 12' diameter and providing 2' clearance from wall I'll make a ring of rocks 12" high x 8' diameter filled with gravel.
The grid will be about 4' square with 1" feeder and have 4 perforated 4' long 1" branch tubes.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@PoolPond The top of the bog would be underwater by 2’ if you only make it 12” tall, it wouldn’t be a bog, just an underwater planting bed. Also, you arent going to be forcing water up through the gravel with this design it is going to follow the path of least resistance, out the side down low through the larger rock ring.

I know they make 8’ diameter stock tank/pools find one 3’ tall and use it for the bog in the center of your 12’ diameter pond, this would force the water up through the gravel and not let it escape out the side.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
I swept 1/2 yard of pee gravel to the middle. I want a 2' wide clean bottom around outside so I can see the fish (about 1,000 minnow size fish) against the blue and white bottom pool liner. Many are continually swimming with the current like in a stream or hanging out in the middle out of the whirlpool created by the pump discharge. It is fun to watch! My problem is string algae coating the bottom and dead bloom algae killed by a UV light coat the liner too much. I only turn on the UV when water starts to turn green but then it turns brackish.
I can only tell you my experience with a much smaller pond but with plenty of medium size fish. I too had issues with algae before I built my external bog which is several feet higher that the surface of the pond so the discharge flows down into the pond. The algae now only grows on the top of the bog. It can get so thick that it can block the flow to the pond. Fortunately, it is easy to pull out. Because my bog is external, once the algae has been removed, I open up a side of the bog to flush our with a hose spray all of the crud that is resting on top of the pea gravel. Note, I block the discharge to prevent the crud from flowing back into the pond. I have to do this several times a year, and about every four years, I backwash the bog by reversing the pump, similar to cleaning a swimming pool filter. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why would you try to make things more difficult, if it was as to a benefit in some way I'd be all for it always willing to give outside the box a shot. But I just don't see a benefit to it. Under my name I made a couple response just yesterday to pool conversions both from aquascapes. Rather informative . You can also find them on youtube

Ask a Question