Can you use Morton Pool Salt in pond for Algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My pond guy told me to get water purifier salt. I found Morton's Pool salt. Is that ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fish eat algae and love it . It maes for a healthy pond if you test water and check how much you are feeding your fish . Remember fish are like teenagers and if you don't make them clean their own room it will only get worse and worse .I am surprised by these pond people telling you this and that in chemicals only because they want to sell you them to make money

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome drips.gif
@Joe1050
Use the salt for your fish and chips! I don't think anyone on here puts salt in their ponds and their fish are just fine w/o it. Speak up if you do!

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 156985@Joe1050
Use the salt for your fish and chips! I don't think anyone on here puts salt in their ponds and their fish are just fine w/o it. Speak up if you do!
A pond guy told me 30 years ago to add table salt to the pond once a year. A whole container for a 600 gallon pond. He said it helped the fish with a slime layer. My pond was a natural no Chem pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A pond guy told me 30 years ago to add table salt to the pond once a year. A whole container for a 600 gallon pond. He said it helped the fish with a slime layer. My pond was a natural no Chem pond.
Sorry, your 'pond guy' was wrong. Adding salt, a chemical compound, is not natural!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Besides, table salt contains chlorine. Not a good idea. And why do people think fish need help with thier slime coats?

Adding salt to a pond irritates the skin of the fish so that they add extra, unnecessary slime coat to protect themselves from the salt. Why force them to live in an environment that is not comfortable for them? Sound like living in a field of nettles to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
old school add salt and result was see less irritations and disease as the lower life forms can't deal with the salt and the fish being higher on the scale can tolerate a higher dose after all we all have salt in our systems in some manner and degree. but to elevate those levels is pushing that balance.

I myself would rather find the balance with the bacteria and mother nature than to find it with salt levels. My fresh and salt water tanks if you shined a flashlight from the top down you would see the parasites like ich swimming around. but the fish were healthy and they remained unaffected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My pond guy told me to get water purifier salt. I found Morton's Pool salt. Is that ok.
How many gallons is your pond and how much salt are you being told to add? Some fish can survive or even thrive in brackish water, but not many. Do you have fish? Do you know what salt level those fish thrive in? Do you own a hydrometer, so you can accurately only add as much salt as the fish species you have can thrive in? If not, don't add ANY salt. If you have an EMPTY pond with NO fish and NO plants, sure, treat it like a saltwater swimming pool if you wish: just know it is a pool, not a pond, and it will never have plants or fish. Nothing wrong with a saltwater pool, just be sure that's what you want. To fix algae in a pond or natural pool, you need to add PLANTS and nothing else. Sounds like your pond guy might be more of a pool guy. But you can have a crystal clear natural pool too, with the right investment in plants (and not chemicals/salt):

Ask a Question