What should I do to clean new plants before additing to my pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just grabbed a large amount of hyacinths from a sweet gentleman on Facebook marketplace. I'd like to clear them of any parasites, fungus or things like that before adding to my pond. I put them in a big plastic bin with water and added proform C. Is there anything else I can/should do to make sure I don't introduce anything nasty to my fish? I can do more Proform C or Dimillin (for possible lice). Lmk your thoughts and advice please.
Thanks
Tanya

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just grabbed a large amount of hyacinths from a sweet gentleman on Facebook marketplace. I'd like to clear them of any parasites, fungus or things like that before adding to my pond. I put them in a big plastic bin with water and added proform C. Is there anything else I can/should do to make sure I don't introduce anything nasty to my fish? I can do more Proform C or Dimillin (for possible lice). Lmk your thoughts and advice please.
Thanks
Tanya
Found this site that explains what you can do: https://www.gardenguides.com/127182-grow-plants-kool-aid.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This website gives three methods of disinfecting pond plants. While it might damage the plants, I guess I’d rather risk the plants than the fish, especially if the plants are easily replaced. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Potassium pergonite for me but it can kill. It's who is going to die parasites or the plants or fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hate to be a Debbie Downer…….but, depending on where you live, water hyacinth doesn’t always over-winter very well. Just saying, you might be better off getting some in the Spring to start out with……

Reaction score
Country
United States
This website gives three methods of disinfecting pond plants. While it might damage the plants, I guess I’d rather risk the plants than the fish, especially if the plants are easily replaced. Let us know how it goes.

This is a great article! Thank you for sending this to me because I was going to use the PP but now I see that that can't be mixed with formalin and I've already put pro form c in there so that would have been dangerous. I'll rinse everything off and do the hydrogen peroxide version I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate to be a Debbie Downer…….but, depending on where you live, water hyacinth doesn’t always over-winter very well. Just saying, you might be better off getting some in the Spring to start out with……
Ha ha, no problem, you're not being a Debbie downer. I know it doesn't overwinter but I was able to get it for free. And I am temporarily housing 13 full grown koi in a 1000 gallon intex pool while we are building the new pond, so having aquatic plants in, there is going to be really key to their survival I believe. They're on my covered patio so that helps. I'm looking to get other plants as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. And I am temporarily housing 13 full grown koi in a 1000 gallon intex pool while we are building the new pond, so having aquatic plants in, there is going to be really key to their survival I believe. They're on my covered patio so that helps. I'm looking to get other plants as well.
What filters are you running? Those koi will foul the water fast. Aerators, water changes etc. 1000 gallons usually is what one koi needs.

The koi people on here can help you out, so you don't lose them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What filters are you running? Those koi will foul the water fast. Aerators, water changes etc. 1000 gallons usually is what one koi needs.

The koi people on here can help you out, so you don't lose them.

I am running 2 of these filters. I just got a 3rd one I can add. they have a fountain on top and they also have a nozzle at the base which creates a nice circular flow of water around the pool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXP4694K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I also have this setup since it is a pool and run it a few hours a day. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E81XQ6C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have this aerator with one stone in there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ2JD2R4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I put them in there Saturday the 21st. I cleaned the filters yesterday and they weren't full. I am doing once daily or every other day feeding presently. I plan to probably do 10-25% water change weekly and not feed them too much. They look like they are doing really good so far. I guess I should post this as a new thread for advice, even though I am scared of getting negative Nancy's criticizing. My pond guy seems to think they'll be fine.

Ask a Question