Water Lily worm/pest ID

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been losing leaves on my water lily... I cut them off to examine, and there's these very small worms on the bottom side. I tried my best to get a good picture, but this was the best I could do. Any ideas on ID and treatment?

Thanks!

1111111111.jpg
4444444444.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those worms are your best friend . Your leaf is well past its prime they realy only last a month . And when they start to wilt three things are for certain.
The leaves will start to Bron along the edges maybe also starting in the middle . They just fade away.
When they do start discoloring they are adding organics into the water possibly making for a spike of amonia. But at they start to rot just like us we don't eat green bananas but we do like when they start to break down and soften up . That worm is eating the ripe bananas.
If it was eating green leaves you would not have circles pf brown you would have no leaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK so that looks normal? Forgive my newbie questions, but I seem to be losing leaves faster than it's growing new ones. Which is what led to my concern. That being said - they are probably about a month old.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You may not have enough sun , or nutrients in the water or too much sun and too much nutrients if the plant it's self is not doing well . Adding fertilizer tablets and repotting the lily can promote growth and flowers

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Rogue.Robot Hello and welcome!

Where do you live? It is a little early in the season, but this could be natural die-back from seasonal changes. The only pests I’ve ever seen on my pads are [I think they’re called] China Mark moth larvae. But those guys chew up part of the pad and roll themselves up into a little tiny burrito.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome guys! I’ve been lurking in the shadows for a while. I built my pond this year and I’m just learning as I go.

Regarding the lily, it gets probably 4 hours of direct sun and dappled sun throughout the day. Also I do use fertilizer tablets, and it has bloomed probably 4 or 5 times since I bought it.

I’m in South Alabama, so it’s been in the upper 90s here lately.

All that being said, I think the plant is going to be fine, I see new leaves coming up today, and it’s probably just a young plant - I bought it a couple months ago.

Oh and thank you all for your responses!

Ask a Question