addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I paid 8-12 bucks for the growing plants and shipping.

Reaction score
I don't think I paid too much for it but kinda expected an actual plant rather than a dormant tuber because that's what was advertised. The red cup is looking even better today. Nothing from the King of Siam yet. I am going to go ahead and pot them up and put them outside tomorrow. We are supposed to be in the high 70's-80 F the rest of the week so I think they will be okay. I can either cover or move the containers into the greenhouse or somewhere, if I have to, if it freezes again. I will be glad when the weather straightens itself out. I am going to have to go buy some more water container for my hardy yellow ones. Now that I found those Panama Pacific bulbs I am short on containers lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A tuber is more practical to post, assuming they are in good condition they are much tougher than a grown out plant. If when planted a cold spell swings in plant shock can destroy grown out soft celled plants. Heat waves can do the same, far more vulnerable to plant shock.

Best thing about tubers, you see a pristine plant start up, rather than some gnarly roots, jaded leaves, kinda sorta thinking about adapting to a different pond, with a few new shoots muddling through. If the weather turns nasty it's much easier to scoot the sprouting tuber back indoors...

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
That does make sense. No growth from the King but the smallest Panama Pacific tuber has some tiny roots growing from it. The Red Cup still looks really good. I planted them all outside yesterday in their permanent containers. The one that is a plant, Pamela is loving the sunshine and putting up a new tiny leaf already.
I am getting some lotus pots ready so I can grow lotus again. Got the pots repainted and now resealing the insides.
I haven't had lotus since we moved here. I used to grow some smaller varieties in containers and kinda miss having them.
Does anyone know a good source for the smaller or bowl type lotus tubers that is not too expensive? I haven't been able to find any locally.

Reaction score
Just an update on the Panama Pacific Tubers that had been dormant for 2 years in the bog. All three have sprouted and have quite a few leaves now. The leaves sure are reddish in color so I will know for sure when they flower if they are Panama Pacific or the Red Flare waterlilies (Those were the two that I had in the original tub when I found the tubers).

Ask a Question