Tried to buy some gar. Might have gotten scammed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used a website called liveaquaponics.com and this is where all the trouble started. I payed for three spotted gar around 3” in length and received a date they were going to be shipped out, and receipt the whole 9 yards. When it came time for the fish to be shipped my tracking app said they never left. I gave it a day to see if it was slow to update and nothing happened so I ended up calling the company to ask them what went wrong. The woman on the phone informed me that their gar had just spawned the week I had placed my order and that they wouldn’t be ready to ship for atleast another two weeks. While I was alittle frustrated that they hadn’t mentioned ANY lead time on their website, I was understanding that it might take a couple weeks and prepared to wait. So I waited I think 3 weeks and then my tracking app didn’t have my order showing anymore so I called them again and asked when they were going to ship and got a similar answer that it would probably be a few weeks. After about a week I sent them an email requesting my order be canceled and I get a refund. I never received an email back. I have now called them two or three times asking for an refund and the same lady said she was sorry and would let her boss know. Here I am months later with no refund and no gar. It wasn’t a huge amount of money about 140$ but I still don’t want to lose that. So does anyone else have experience with this company? Are they a known scam?

-Van

Alittle about me, I am very new to ponds in general and wanted these gar to grow out indoors before I transferred them into a bigger pond I am planning to construct next year. I have a big enough indoor plastic horse trough to have them live comfortably in even as adults so the pond construction time line isn’t anything to worry about.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Gar — that’s an interesting choice….what made you choose them?

I can’t speak for the company you ordered from, but this time of year is NOT a good time for shipping anything live (including plants). In fact, some companies have a disclaimer about shipping during excessive heat. Sorry you’re dealing with this. No idea if it’s a scam or not……but these guys are predatory fish……. How big of a pond are you planning to make?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome003_z.gif
@Guythatlikesfish
Check this out about the liveaquaponics.com:

https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/liveaquaponics-com-review/?expand_article=1

I googled (liveaquaponics.com reviews) to get to that link. You can do the same and see what other reviews come up.

I didn't read them all just the fifth one down about the scam detector and all seems well w/that review about them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Gar — that’s an interesting choice….what made you choose them?

I can’t speak for the company you ordered from, but this time of year is NOT a good time for shipping anything live (including plants). In fact, some companies have a disclaimer about shipping during excessive heat. Sorry you’re dealing with this. No idea if it’s a scam or not……but these guys are predatory fish……. How big of a pond are you planning to make?
Hi thanks!

I have always been fascinated by them and I liked the idea of having something I could feed in a more interactive way.

Yeah I ordered the gar in April of this year…. It’s been awhile.

Well I’ve been debating on the size for awhile now, and I think it’s going to come down to price. I haven’t made up my mind completely yet. I have a 11’ circular tank for the gar if need be but I don’t think I’m going to be getting them anyways :(.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 160174 @Guythatlikesfish
Check this out about the liveaquaponics.com:

https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/liveaquaponics-com-review/?expand_article=1

I googled (liveaquaponics.com reviews) to get to that link. You can do the same and see what other reviews come up.

I didn't read them all just the fifth one down about the scam detector and all seems well w/that review about them.
Thanks for that, that seems like an awesome website. I actually don’t think they are a scam website but it seems like just the last few years things have been kind of weird. I don’t use Facebook but I decided to check for live aquaponics on there just in case and I found there page with like 2.5 stars and a few other people saying exactly what I said even about ordering gar. Not sure what to think exactly

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How did you pay? Credit card. PayPal, will all refund if you file a complaint. It is good to have written data if you can, text, email etc. Saying not sent yet, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Most definitely. That’s part of why I like them.
Oh my gosh! All this talk about Gar and I finally had to go take a looksee on what these fish look like! Are yours hopefully a different variety that don't get this big..............yikes, I think I would be afraid to go near my pond if I had this in there o_O

Gar.jpg

Ask a Question