Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_0401.jpegIMG_0402.jpegIMG_0403.jpeg
some shots of the bog added a few years back, as @GBBUDD said it’s a tropical jungle in there now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 164433View attachment 164434View attachment 164435
some shots of the bog added a few years back, as @GBBUDD said it’s a tropical jungle in there now.
very cool. Well it sure does look tropical and knowing its Maryland boggles the mind.

I take it from those huge fast growing plants that you pond is doing well?

now you just planted all those into the bog area that was how deep untill you hit the matrix blocks and you have fabric placed in the bog to protect the liner ?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
very cool. Well it sure does look tropical and knowing its Maryland boggles the mind.

I take it from those huge fast growing plants that you pond is doing well?

now you just planted all those into the bog area that was how deep untill you hit the matrix blocks and you have fabric placed in the bog to protect the liner ?
Yes, everything is doing well, plants have to be weeded back quite abit, here and there, but what else is new. Think it is like 3’ until the matrix blocks and yep there is fabric to protect the liner. None of the banana plants are actually in the bog, but the big canna is, and so are the couple of varieties of elephant ears. One Of the elephant ears started outside of the bog then sent runners and ended up in it.

Those cypress knees I put in there last year can’t even see them right now.

At the moment, think8ng of turning that pond behind my Quonset hut, into a greenhouse and then can leave the turtles out there year round. Having a bunch of turtles in the house all winter, ehhh, not crazy about that, so the greenhouse seems like a good solution in my mind at least

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, everything is doing well, plants have to be weeded back quite abit, here and there, but what else is new. Think it is like 3’ until the matrix blocks and yep there is fabric to protect the liner. None of the banana plants are actually in the bog, but the big canna is, and so are the couple of varieties of elephant ears. One Of the elephant ears started outside of the bog then sent runners and ended up in it.

Those cypress knees I put in there last year can’t even see them right now.

At the moment, think8ng of turning that pond behind my Quonset hut, into a greenhouse and then can leave the turtles out there year round. Having a bunch of turtles in the house all winter, ehhh, not crazy about that, so the greenhouse seems like a good solution in my mind at least
Sounds reasonable make them a swim out like at a resort they should know when to retire ot he gren house or if it's ok to go to the outdoor pond . cool project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow. Before you mentioned they weren't inside the liner, I thought you'd planted bananas in the bog. I had that idea when building the bog and everyone here said, "Absolutely do not do that." ha

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wow. Before you mentioned they weren't inside the liner, I thought you'd planted bananas in the bog. I had that idea when building the bog and everyone here said, "Absolutely do not do that." ha
The banana trees are outside the liner, the elephant ears/taro or colocasia plants have spread into the bog. Yeah, wouldn’t put them in the bog they get 20’ tall so they have to have some decen root systems to hold that height and size up.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_1169.jpeg
IMG_1170.jpeg
IMG_1171.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg

pond is a jungle this year, apparently Texas Dawn water lily is more aggressive than other water lilies, going to have to pull a ton of them out.

Also, turns out cannas like the bog better than being planted in dry areas, but that isn’t really surprising, everything does better when they can at least get there feet wet. At least this way if the ones in the bog die in the winter occasionally, I just take some out of the ground nearby and put them in next spring.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Shots of two of the pond minions, they make plant pulling interesting, have to watch I don’t step on them, and some of them are biters. have 18 I think, only four in the main pond at the moment
IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_1175.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 164599View attachment 164600View attachment 164601View attachment 164602
pond is a jungle this year, apparently Texas Dawn water lily is more aggressive than other water lilies, going to have to pull a ton of them out.

Also, turns out cannas like the bog better than being planted in dry areas, but that isn’t really surprising, everything does better when they can at least get there feet wet. At least this way if the ones in the bog die in the winter occasionally, I just take some out of the ground nearby and put them in next spring.
Looks like the moss didn't make it afterall too much sun or shut down in the winter did it in ?

Ask a Question