( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Looking great!

Congratulations on getting a job at a pond place. Definitely suits your skillset!
Did you ever tackle that huge garden project that you were going to do for your Eagle Scout badge?
Thank you! I did end up doing the large upflow wetland filter for my Eagle project! I have attached a few photos below of the finished project.

The first few photos were from immediately after completion and the later photos are from later in the summer once it had been planted!

IMG_1722.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thank you! I did end up doing the large upflow wetland filter for my Eagle project! I have attached a few photos below of the finished project.

The first few photos were from immediately after completion and the later photos are from later in the summer once it had been planted!

Beautiful! Looks like a lot of work went into that, and some great planning as well. Well done!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Since working at my local pond store I have learnt a ton and made some much needed improvements to the pond! As I mentioned in my previous post, I did install a skimmer box, along with doing a better job of concealing the plumbing. Since then, I installed a large 5 head aerator system to maintain better water movement from the bottom of the pond, improve dissolved oxygen, and also keep the pond more ice free in the winter! I also chose to add sod and grass seed around a few areas of the pond that were previously just mounds of dirt. In addition, I added some evergreen shrubs such as boxwoods. I had a spot for a Japanese maple as well, although the deer quickly decided that it was a tasty snack, so it has been potted and moved into a fenced area. I will likely replace it with a topiary boxwood to add a sculptural element to the area. I divided and repotted my Lilly, and also added various bunches of water celery that will soon grow in to a lush plant due to its invasive nature. And finally, I spotted fish fry! I only saw a single fry on one occasion, but it was nearly an inch long, so I have hope that there are more hiding among the plants. The pond is so much more lush and healthy looking than it has ever been, and I look forward to seeing all of my new additions develop and grow! Here is photo evidence.

IMG_4321.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg
IMG_4324.jpeg
IMG_4323.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mixed emotions on bridges myself. i have a hard time covering so much work time and money with a bridge

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's yard dependent really - if you need a way to get from one side to another over water, it's a bridge. Although one of my favorite aquascape builds had a rock stepping stone bridge - very cool!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've heard fish like to congregate under the bridges for shade and safety at times too.
Absolutely fish are vulnerable from above. And a dock a log anything gives them cover

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Absolutely fish are vulnerable from above. And a dock a log anything gives them cover
I built the bridge originally because I though the shape of the pond looked odd so this was a way to break it up, but It is a great way to get over the water and view the fish!

Ask a Question