The plan is to join preformed ponds together

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Waterbug hasnt chimed in for a while, but i found his website on his profile

http://www.waterbugdesign.com/pond/skimmer.html
here is the skimmer part, i did mine differently, where he made it out of concrete, i had a bunch of exra liner in the corner of my pond so i just dug another hole right under that liner. and as far as a door, i tried, but since i did this after my pond was already filled it was difficult to make that doorway nice and sqaure, didnt work out great at all. so i have a couple of flat rocks stacked there... the water can kind of just get in on the sides of the rock, works decently. if i ever have to drain some of my pond i could fix it and make an actual door like he has there.

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and was reading this thread, just thought I would comment. I had three performs given me , one round with the waterfall lip, one that is a smaller curved with the lip, and onemthatnis a larger kidney shaped about 6 x 4 ft. I built up my slope on the upper side and graduated them down so that they all waterfall into the kidney. This is not a large pond at all and is way to small for the koi. I have a larger 5000 gal pond for the fish. This does make a good quarantine/holding/baby tank. But anyway my point to all of this is that you could do something along these lines from several angles to flow down into a larger liner pond perhaps. Just a thought .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to have a collection of five little ponds, some performed, some liner, had them all flowing together, from top to bottom pond. the top pond was a liner, I made and spillway to pour into the next pond, which was a performed 135 gallon, which had a low end where water would overflow naturally after heavy rain. The low end sunk and I added a piece of liner that someone gave me and created a another pond, slightly lower, where the 135 gallon could pour into, then that liner had a spillway that I created to pour into a 100 gallon preformed pond, and then that 100 gallon performed pond poured into a 150 gallon marsh and very bottom pond. I always suspected that I had some small leaks here and there, but I could see how much water I lost cause the bottom pond fed the top pond and then it freeflowed back down from pond to pond. Had it like that for ten years or so, and wintered them all together, keeping the flow going all year from pond to pond. It took work to get it flowing nice, and had to be careful that pump did not overflow the edges of preformed ponds, but if you just hook one pond up at and time, fiddle with it and work out all the "kinks", it can be done. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Forgot to tell you that now I have three much larger ponds that are all liner now, changed them over the years and made much bigger as fish and plants grew, but for the longest time I was very happy with that setup, proud that I made it work so well. Not sure how big the volume of water is now, but I would guess that each pond is at least 1000 gallons now x 3. My husband thinks it's bigger though...

Ask a Question