Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Can…you…please….give….us….a….little…. more…. information…..? What kind of skimmer do you have and how long have you had it? Has anything recently changed with your pond, such as water level….? How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is new this year. It is 600 gallons with an Aquascape skimmer. It seems to work fine but after about 6 hours the skimmer is sucking water and I have to shut the pond down. I am new to all this and at a loss. I do have a water fall and for now 2 Small goldfish and I am starting to landscape around the outside and inside the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Some things I'd check : Is the weir to the skimmer open? If there is a filter inside the skimmer is it dirty creating resistance? If the pump is inside the skimmer is it clogged? Is the water level in the pond high enough to flow through the skimmer weir?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
SKIMMERS DRAW FROM THE SURFACE,,, theres a good chance your skimmer is simply to high and as the skimmer pulls the water in your water level drops. and when it does its pulling iin the air.

Or you pump is too strong and it is pulling more than the surface can provide , or the pipe is too small for the pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
SKIMMERS DRAW FROM THE SURFACE,,, theres a good chance your skimmer is simply to high and as the skimmer pulls the water in your water level drops. and when it does its pulling iin the air.

Or you pump is too strong and it is pulling more than the surface can provide , or the pipe is too small for the pump
I think the skimmer was just to high, the guy who put in the pond came over and dropped the skimmer a couple inches and it seems all is well, boy I thought having a pond was supposed to be relaxing!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the skimmer was just to high, the guy who put in the pond came over and dropped the skimmer a couple inches and it seems all is well, boy I thought having a pond was supposed to be relaxing!!
Ohhhhhhh wait till you see how relaxing hair algae can make your pond

Ask a Question