Simple Question About flexiible PVC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Making some changes to my pond. I have 2 inch flexible PVC which I am trying to glue (solvent weld) to a 2 inch coupling. Years ago I used the same material and had no issues.

The pipe does not fit snugly into the coupling as would a rigid PVC pipe. Seems to be a gap of about 1/16 of a inch all around. Is this normal? I seem to recall that when I last used the same pipe it was a snug fit.

It is for sure 2 inch as is the coupling.

I tried to solvent weld using Christy's Hot Blue Glue and I did prime and put a good coat of glue on the pipe and coupling. Held it firmly for about 15 seconds but is is NOT a tight weld.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Standard 2" pvc couplings and elbow have a narrow throat. Pressure fitting have three times the throat and work much better. you can get standards to work but it better be buried where it will not flex .

great looking dog by the way African Mastiff ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Standard 2" pvc couplings and elbow have a narrow throat. Pressure fitting have three times the throat and work much better. you can get standards to work but it better be buried where it will not flex .

great looking dog by the way African Mastiff ?
Bullmastiff. Gone but not forgotten

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I expect flex PVC to be a looser fit than rigid, but if the hose can bottom out in the fitting when dry fit without any contact/friction, I'd say that's a problem and would not use a joint like that outside the liner.

It could be as simple as a small imperfection in that section of your hose or fitting that is out of tolerance. I'd check the fit against a few different pieces of hose and fittings to narrow down whether it's a hose or fitting issue.

Agree w/ @GBBUDD on fitting type. Use pressure fittings over DWV whenever possible and healthy amount of high body glue—the thickest stuff you can find. And the guy who runs flexpvc.com has a series of videos about the stuff where he advises against using the quarter-turn method when making up joints. Don't know why, but that's what he says.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can use a Fernco rubber coupling between the flex PVC and a straight piece of ridgid PVC. I did that with the 1-1/2" flex PVC that feeds my bog's ridgid PVC. It's been there for a few years without any problems. Plus, it's not a permanently glued connection so you can take it apart at any time by just unscrewing a hose clamp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use a Fernco rubber coupling between the flex PVC and a straight piece of ridgid PVC. I did that with the 1-1/2" flex PVC that feeds my bog's ridgid PVC. It's been there for a few years without any problems. Plus, it's not a permanently glued connection so you can take it apart at any time by just unscrewing a hose clamp.
I'M NOT A HUGE FAN OF FERNCO'S for the simple reason they are rubber. Take a drink from a rubber garden hose and you'll see why i say this. They leach into the water there main use is in drains. . it won't hurt the fish but they do live in that water so the better i can make their home is what a strive for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'M NOT A HUGE FAN OF FERNCO'S for the simple reason they are rubber. Take a drink from a rubber garden hose and you'll see why i say this. They leach into the water there main use is in drains. . it won't hurt the fish but they do live in that water so the better i can make their home is what a strive for.
I get what you're saying, but a Fernco doesn't have much surface area in contact with the water. To me it seems quite minimal compared to say a 50 foot garden hose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I avoid ferncos in a supply line if possible, I'll spend the money on a union . But you simply can not beat how convenient ferncos are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I totally agree that a union is much better, but I was only suggesting a Fernco because the OP was having fitment problems where the flex PVC was loose within the ridgid fitting. I thought that maybe a Fernco would help with the slight size mismatch.

Ask a Question