Replacing water

Reaction score
Is it really important to replace your water periodically? The fish do not seem unhappy and my water has not been replaced in over ten years. My pond has two depths. One around 18 inches. the other around 36 inches. The 18 inch portion has no sludge at all. The deeper one has six inches sludge. Should I try to remove the sludge from the deeper portion ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say “replaced,” do you mean by periodically draining and refilling? Some people do this — it’s called a “partial water exchange” (because not all of the old water goes away). However, many don’t. There are different schools of thought on this issue. But if Mother Nature doesn’t do it for us in the form of rain, we pretty much all top off our ponds as the water level decreases. That is, “replacing” what was removed via evaporation. You said you’ve not replaced any water in over 10 years. I hope you are topping off the pond (unless it’s a spring-fed pond).

Sludge removal also has different schools of thought. Personally, I like to remove the sludge if it gets bad (“bad” being a personal choice — there is no standard for what “bad” means) but if you do that you can get it out with a fine net — the water doesn’t have to be emptied for this. But be aware that when you stir up the sludge, it will release potentially toxic gasses into the water, so keep your Pump and filter running and add some extra aeration if possible. Or, if you have some type of pond vacuum, that works well, but you’ll still stir stuff up. I have a Pond-o-Vac that gets used about once a year. Oh, and sludge removal can also depend on trees and how much leaf-drop you get.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I dont do water changes. I just let nature keep my water level up. Water evaporates, then the rain tops it off.

I use a fine net to scoop the bottom in the early Spring and at the end of the Fall. The net is a pool net. The big bag type net. I scoop the bottom very slowly as not to stir it up too much. It will cloud up, but clears by the next day. Pond vacs are great, but very expensive. Some people have built their own.

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. My water is crystal clear via my bead filter and do not want to have a my pond emptied at a cost of $3,000 plus the added concern of any damage to my 35 year old fish. I will scoop out the sludge and use it for fertilizer. Thank you again for your comments.

Ask a Question